Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

What is G2 code 168?

I have a G2 250HO and took it our this afternoon.  The first time I went to jump on plane, the motor started choking and the following was on the display, "Code 168 ETC Idle Window fault".  I cant seem to find anything wrong......HELP!!

Admiral

Re: What is G2 code 168?

[ Edited ]

The throttle has to be completely closed at dead idle when starting the motor. If the throttle is opened  at all, the engine senses a fault and sets a code and does not allow the motor to accelerate.

It could also mean a faulty throttle position sensor or linkage problem, but that is super rare.

As long as there are no loose connectors or wiring problems visible, try it again making sure the throttle is closed when starting, if it continues to set a code, contact your dealer.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

This happened after about 10 minutes of idle and after I had jumped on plane.  The motor started choking, the code was on the display, so I shut the motor down.  Do you know what code 168 refers to?

Admiral

The onboard computer, EMM, senses incorrect voltage readings from the throttle postion sensor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.