Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: What kind of engine is this?

Picture #1

Highlighted
Skipper

That's why i thought i bought a 6 hp motor. But i am very happy with her Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Admiral

The model number plate does confirm the stern brackets were from a 1971 6 HP

Just guessing, but since it was made at the OMC Belgium plant, it is possible that it was a kerosene model that used a 10 HP block but produced about 6 HP. Those were common in Europe as gasoline is expensive and was used only for starting and warming up the motor, then switching over to kerosene.

If that was the case, perhaps someone replaced the block with a 10 HP gasoline version.

Most of the 1960 era 10 HP motors up to 1963 - the last one - had similar parts so you can obtain about anything you need for normal maintenance. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

That tag indicates a 1971 6hp. Ain't no way

Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

That these motors can take kerosene is intruiging. I dont know how much kerosene costs at the moment around here.

I will check all the evinrude motors for their cylinder heads and see which engines used mine.

by the way:

She had this fuel pump which wasnt working. Until when did they use these huge fuel pumps? I replaced it with one of the small newer ones. I wanted to open the old one but i cant do it. Do they normally fall apart when you remove the screws? Maybe somebody glued together the layers.

Highlighted
Skipper

There's a paper gasket in there. It always tears takiking them apart. Should be a boss proud on the side of the pump. A flat blade screwdriver and a light twist and there ya have it

Highlighted
Skipper

That pump was used in the 60's not in the 70's
Highlighted
Captain

Head gasket 308394 was used on 10 hp, 1959-1963. Period.