Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Where are my anodes

Yet another question about my Johnson 40hp -90something.

I am doing service and im reading in my big service manual that I should change the anodes. However I can not find anywhere what anodes I have and where they are. Do any of you know where I can find any information on this?

I have looked some on the engine, but I could not find any.

Captain

Re: Where are my anodes

Here's an article (skim through it to the pertinent spot) that should show you where to find them...

http://www.evinrudenation.com/reviews/sporting-product-reviews/boattest-com-reviews-the-evinrude-e-t...

Admiral

You can find your anodes in the operator's guide and if you do not have one, order through www.outboardbooks.com .

You can also refer to the parts listings by your engine model number at  shop2.evinrude.com

If you post the complete model number, we may be able to assist you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you for your answers. I have the shop manuel, should it not be in there?

The model plate is gone, but thanks to this forum and you, BluewaterBill, we have narowed it down to a 40hp Johnson 91-94 electric start, tilt and trim. 

Skipper

Thank you, I read the part on anodes, but is this the same om every evinrunde/johnson?

Admiral

There is an anode bolted to the propshaft bearing carrier which is visible after removing the prop and thrust washer. Another one is bolted to the inside area of the port stern bracket.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

About the propshaft bearing carrier anode. Does the entire bearing housing need to be removed or is the andode itself changable just by removing the propeller?

About the port stern bracket one, I had a look but I can not see any anode present. Could it be that it should be fitted on the place marked in red below?

20181117_110518_1_1.jpg