Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Community Manager

Why do you own an Evinrude E-TEC over the other brands?

Was wondering why Evinrude owners chose their Evinrude E-TEC over other brands? What made you decide to go with an Evinrude and if you made a switch what was the reason?

Thanks!

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Mate

Re: Why do you own an Evinrude E-TEC over the other brands?

weight to power ratio, American made and
hopefully reliability. so far I’m happy with it ... let me add the slick look
too.

My vote goes to Ronald Reagan...in 2012
Skipper

Just re-powered my Tracker Grizzly 1754 SC with an E-TEC 75hp replacing a Merc 4-stroke 25hp. I have heard nothing but good stuff about E-TECs.

Because I fish out in the Florida backcountry (cape sable, shark river, etc), reliability and performance are important.  Based on my buddies' experiences with their own E-TECs, I chose E-TEC because of weight, performance, and reliability.

Picking the boat up tomorrow. I'll report performance in another thread.

Mate

Power to weight ratio and above all else - EASE OF MAINTENANCE. I've owned a 250 and four pairs of 175s (installing the fifth pair now). 770 hours on the 250 with minimal problems. 1500 hours, 800 hours, 550 hours and 400 hours respectively on my 175s with virtually no issues (mostly I-Command related stuff). Maintenance (or lack thereof) has been an absolute DREAM.  Man Happy

Mate

After failing to break a 60hp E-tec with 3 years of constant abuse, there was no other choice when upsizing the boat, we went to a 175hp and it's just as tuff. The E-tec is an awesome machine!
Skipper

Because I have owned several quads, and many skidoo sleds all with good results. I still own my first outboard a 20 HP merc that I bought in 1976 still starts on the second pull only thing I need to replace is the fuel line and primer because of weathering the spark plugs are original as is the water pump impellar, it's only burned about 10 gals of gas on average per year in all those years. I do replace the lubricant in the lower leg every 4 or 5 years

Captain

I've built and owned boats for 40+ years. All outboards have come a long way but had my doubts about E-TEC when they first came out. Sounded "Too good to be true". Eventually replaced a 30hp Yamaha with a 30 E-TEC a few years back(now due for 1st service). Could not believe the economy and lack of noise. Then a 50hp Yamaha 4stroke with a 60hp Etec. Now butying a 115 E-TEC. I won't buy anything else today.

PS

LLBaehr - Your forum registration page only includes USA & Canada. I'm in South Africa!

Al
E_TEC 115hp
Serial No 05333751
Model E115DPLIN
Mate

Reliability, power to weight ratio and low scheduled maintanence required.

Captain

I repowered from 200 Ficht to 200 Etech. Customer service has been fantastic and I find the engine to be very reliable.
Captain

Replaced my 1997 2cyl 2stroke 25hp Johnson with a 2011 30hp E-tech., and upgraded from a 14' Lund to a 16'.Lund. Waited until the new 25/30 hp platform had been out 2 years to avoid teething bugs like the oil tank issue, and to make sure it was a U.S. built unit. Power to weight ratio, less frequent maintenence and smooth quiet operation was what sold me. Fewer moving parts means less to wear out and less repair. If the injectors and EMM work well over a long period of time than this is definately the way to go, not to mention how well these things are built. Very happy owner

so far.