Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Won't start - not even a click ??

I have a 2010 130hp E-Tec model #E130DCXISF.   Went to prep the boat for fishing this morning and after turning the battery switch on I turned the key and nothing !!   the tach went crazy and stopped at 3,000,  fuel gauge pegged and the amp gauge dropped to 0. None of the warning lights on the tach lit up, no tilt.trim at the controls or on the engine.  BUT all the lights (nav, anchor) work, GPS, fishfinder, vhf and am.fm radio all work.

/

I have checked for loose plugs in the enigne wiring circuit, replaced the main fuse on the outboard, still doing the same thing. 

thinking it may be the neutral safety switch, but how did I check it to see if it is good or not ?  But Will a bad neutral safety switch keep the tilt switch on the engine from working ?  Anyone have any ideas as to what to check next ?

Thanks for any and all help ... 

A Bad Day Fishing Beats A Good Day At Work
Amanda Gail Fishing Team
Admiral

Re: Won't start - not even a click ??

[ Edited ]

Most likely a battery problem or a loose, missing, or corroded ground connection somewhere.Check both battery cables all the way back to the motor.  Have the batteries been disconnected recently or any electrical work done on the boat before this happened?

If you do find a bad ground that fixes the problem, then inspect the bonding wires that are used on the trim sender and trim motor. They can be melted away or burned if any starting current passes through them because the electricity takes the path of least resistance.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

New batteries were installed about two months ago, but I have been using the boat just about every weekend since without any problems..  ALL connections at the batteries and battery switch have been checked and re checked. ANy and all fuses in the enigne wiring circuit have been replaced. As for a battery problem I just don't think that is it. ?? Both new batteries gone bad at the same time ??

This is the original engine wiring harness that came on the boat in 2000. We were able to use it when I re-powered back in February of this year, so I am going to start looking for a short and/or a loose/bad connector in the engine wiring harness next. The way the gauges act it leads me to believe it is a short somewhere, but my marine mechanic hasn't ruled out the possibility of a bad neutral safety switch.?  That is why I was asking about that.

Amanda Gail Fishing Team
Admiral

I am assuming that you have hex nuts on the battery terminals and NOT wing nuts, correct?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

They are wing nuts with washers under them.. Yep I have heard about the use of hex nuts in lieu of wing nuts, so I am willing to even try that...  Not sure what difference using wing nuts with washers tighted down with a pair of pliers vs. the use of hex nuts would make, but if it works what the heck... 

Monday I plan to reclean the battery terminals and cables then use stainless washers and stainless hex nuts tightened with a wrench along with recleaning and tightening the cables at the battery switch and hope for the best.

Amanda Gail Fishing Team
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

You also need to use lockwashers along with the stainless steel hex nuts.  Even with pliers tightened wing nuts, you can sometimes just pull on one of the cables and it will rotate and loosen up.

Make sure there is a negative battery cable joining all the batteries together and that the battery cable ground point on the engine is clean and secure as well as the smaller gauge individual ground wires on the motor.

Battery Connection - no wing nuts.jpg

Captain

[ Edited ]

It turned out to be a two fold problem.. A bad negative cable connection at the engine and a bad starter solenoid. 

fixed/cleaned the ground connection and added a star washer with that I had power at the starter solenoid, tilt/trim worked, but on start cycle only got a click out ot the solenoid, no power going from it to the starter replaced it and bingo.......

starts, runs and everything works llike a champ now .Smiley Happy

Amanda Gail Fishing Team
Admiral

I am happy to hear that you found the problems. Now go fishing !!!!!!