Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Wrong impeller?

I have just removed the lower unit on my ourborder. It is estimated by this forum to be a 89-93 40 hp johnson.

When I checked out the impeller I se that it has 5 flanges instead of the 3 it should have accordning to the manual and sketches on marineengine.

Any idea why this is? Can previous owner just have put in the wrong one? Or can it be that this engine is actually not a 89-93?

Should I change to the correct one or stay with the 5 flanges?
If I change to the correct one, do I also need to change the housing?
20181215_204704.jpg20181215_205106.jpg20181215_205019.jpg
Skipper

Re: Wrong impeller?

I would replace it with a complete water pump repair kit with housing and all.  Your current housing pictures does not look in great condition.  

If you post your model number im sure someone here can point you towards the correct kit

Captain

Yeah, changing is probably a good idea, but what about the impeller being wrong. Could they just have put another model on with more flanges? Seems wierd...

Im just woundering if I that could be the case or if its me that have guessed wrong on the year and model.

Admiral

Don't guess the year or model - use the model number on the motor

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Like Bill said check the model number on the engine bracket or metal plug disc on the block. With engines of that age the power head or gearcase could be from a different year engine.
Captain

Hi! I got a kid so things when on pause for a while =)

Yes, modelnumber would be best, but the plate is gone. I have gotten help from the forum to estimate the engine to a 

89-93 40 hp johnson

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Is there a serial number on a silver disk that looks like a core plug on the engine block?

Some of the older 2 and 3 cylinder engines had 3 blade impellers and others had 6. Over the years the complete kits would come with either.

Be sure to use all the parts in the complete factory kit, not just an impeller as your picture shows a well-grooved water pump cup that needs replacement

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I have already gotten the serial number checked with you Bill, but it did not seem to match the engine and you estimated it to be 89-93 40 hp johnson. I have now bought a complete waterpump kit that is marketed to fit those years. 

Partnumber 0438592.

Do you think that should be ok?

Skipper

Maybe someone can help me. I have a 2016 G2 Etech- had a new block with reeds, impeller and water pump from Evinrude put in by dealer. They have had it 6 weeks now. They have installed 4 new water pumps and now tell me the problem is this motor does not pull enough water up to run pump in a tank and that it works better in the lake.???? Also today they water tested for 5th time and the pump is working but now are getting overheating warnings. Before the water pressure gauge did not register anything- now they tell me it is at 37?? Any help or experience you can pass on would be greatly appreciated!!

Admiral

what exact engine model & serial number is it and what impeller or pump kit part number impeller did they install?