Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: Wrong impeller?

Bill, model E250LHA6A - SERIAL- 05452370 and the pump kit number is 5011599

Thanks!!!

Captain

I don't know a lot about your particular engine but I know a lot about engines. If they are saying the water pressure is at 37 psi they have to be doing something wrong or there is a blockage. Boat engines don't have radiators so they don't have pressure caps. There are restrictions that lessen when the thermostat(s) open but the water always has a path to discharge, the pump is pumping against a dead end. Automotive radiator caps typically are 12-18psi but there will be places in the engine where the pressure will go a little higher than that inspite of the fact that water is non-compressible. I would think that 37psi would be blowing off hoses. What did the water pressure gauge register when everything was working correctly? I'm curious about this for my own knowledge.

Another thing to think about is that if the engine is as deep in the barrel of water as it is when it's on the transom of a boat then at idle the water pump is not going to know the difference, unless possibly the barrel is so small that the exhaust turbulence in the water is keeping the water away from the water intakes.

I'm leary of the guy working on it. 

Skipper

Thanks, the normal pressure when running wo is 24-28

I am beginning to agree with you.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Thanks, good to know. That's a bigger number than I would have expected and it proves not everything automotive translates to outboards.  Still leary, though as it's not magic that these things run on. 

Admiral

that is the correct kit for that model engine. Has anything been changed on the motor prior to the pump installation?

Unless the workmanship is in question, perhaps the tank testing  or gearcase depth is not sufficient to check the whole cooling system out. Cooling issues have to be tested on the water running the boat at all speeds. In a tub or a tank, you cannot get a good test in gear due to the air, exhaust and turbulence in the water.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

This is a 2016 it has 6 blades on impeller
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Due to the G2 gearcase design and low front and side water pickups, on a fast boat the water pressure can be in the 40 psi range at high speeds.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Bill I get it about testing on water. The block, reeds and pump/impeller was changed out. That is it. Thanks for your help
Skipper

Bill after several weeks I finally had enough. Called owner of boat dealer and am taking in next week to their location. They promise the thing will run right or get a new head on it. Thanks for all your help. BTW I have talked to people at Evinrude service and they are the best!