Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Zodiac WHEELIES... an Introduction and two concerns on brand new E-TEC

Greetings Fellow Boaters,

My name is John, I am 53 years old and my boat is a 1991 Zodiac Pro420.  I finally budgeted enough to buy a new 50hp E-TEC with the ICON Pro guages. The engines was installed at a certified Evinrude dealer in Dania Beach FL.

Needless to say I am extremely excited about this purchase. The boats primary use is for (not in any particular order)

Exploring Florida's waterways and photography, diving/snorkeling, raising hell.

The previous power was a 1991 Mercury 2-stroke 60hp black anchor.

My main concern, which is quite scary, is the way the boat "stands up" when accelerating from the hole. My previous engine, which was heavier and didn't have near the torque, would only raise the bow to about a 45 degree angle off the water when nailed from a stopped position. On my first acceleration with the new E-TEC I thought I had not trimmed the engine all the way down. This things stands on ths transom like it is going to flip over when fully trimmed down. It is so severe that when it freaked me out and I pulled back the throttle the transom submerged slightly allowing water to come in over the transom.

As I mentioned earlier, I had a heavier and slower Merc on this boat before and the bow rise on acceleration was not nearly as severe.

The rigging technician told me the was quite a rise in the bow, but I didn't expect this much. I've tried several acceleration methods and all (slower, holeshot etc) resulted in the "wheelie" out of the hole. when we were kids we did this by trimming up and accelerating to intentionally raise hell, but I'm pretty sure this will freak my girlfriend out when she finally gets onboard.

Obviuosly I will be talking to the dealer about this, but always like to know as much as possible when entering a situation like this.

The boat is a '91 Zodiac Pro 420 with the 2013 ETEC 50hp

And lastly, do all ETEC vibrate so much at Neutral idle speed or dead slow idle?

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I couldn't find a list of specific categories, and as a previous community moderator I understand your frustration.

Thanks in advance

John Wheeler

Dania Beach FL

1991 Zodiac Pro420
2013 E-Tec 50
ICON Pro Series Guages
Admiral

Re: Zodiac WHEELIES... an Introduction and two concerns on brand new E-TEC

[ Edited ]

Hi John,

Welcome to the E-TEC family and to E-NATION.

Yes, the E-TEC engine design has a lot of torque and it is something that may take a bit of getting used to. Normally it is the boat design, and sometimes the load location, that determines how high the boat may angle on hard acceleration. Moving gear or people farther forward  in the boat often helps. Make sure the thrust pin is in the bottom most hole so the motor is tucked in all the way during acceleration. Check the transom angle against the keel to make sure it is within the industry standard 12°-15° range.  Also raising the engine on the transom can help,it is a trial and error proposition to find the best setting but can be worth the effort.

You might try a Rogue series propeller that is a stern lifting style of propeller as opposed to most props which are of bow lifting design. Talk to your dealer to try out several to find one that will allow your engine to run in the optimal 5600-5750 rpm range at WOT with your normal load of fuel and passengers.

Being a 2 cylinder engine, it will shake a bit more than one with more cylinders. The motor mount design helps from transmitting the vibrations to the boat. Your dealer can increase your idle rpm very easily using a laptop which can alleviate most of any roughness.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Hello Bill!

Thank you for your reply.

I took the boat back to the dealer and they are going to try and put some wedges on the transom to see if the extra tuck will help  with the angle of launch. I also recommended trying different props, but will let the dealer work their magic. They were surprised that I was upset, as when they rig and prop test the boat they do it with two people on board, simulating a typical boating experience. I explained that i use the boat alone more often than not, so when they retest it the rigger will go alone. There should be a happy medium without sacrifing speed or "out of the hole".

With the current prop it was perfecr for me alone topping with perfect trim at 5850rpms on the digital guage.

I'll report back my results.

Thanks

John

1991 Zodiac Pro420
2013 E-Tec 50
ICON Pro Series Guages
Admiral

Glad to hear that your dealer is going the extra mile to try to get things to your satisfaction.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi John, I have a Zodiac Futura, same length as yours. I too just bought a 50 ETec. Don't have your wheelie problem though. Just wondering, what prop are you using?