Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

any 40hp / 50hp etec owners?

Just bought a 40hp Etec and would like to know how it is running for other owners and if you guys are happy or not with it.

The one thing I hate about this new engine - 2017 40hp etec, the idle is
set to 800rpm which I would expect to be the factory recommended. Problem is at idle, the motor shakes almost violently. Everything on the boat is rattling. It makes it very uncomfortable and actually embarrassing. Oh yeah, thats my new etec, listen to it purr.

it sounds like **bleep** and makes it awful to idle around anywhere.
The shop told me I bought a 2-stroke, what did I expect. I do have a 200hp etec that does not have the shake at idle. I thought etecs were a great engine and didn't think twice about getting a small one but am now regretting it big time.

What I want to know is do they all have this violent shake at idle? ... is it normal or not.

I want to push back on the dealer but if this is the norm, then I will have to settle.

any opinions would be welcome - please let me know what your engines are like.

thanks

TwS

Captain

Re: any 40hp / 50hp etec owners?

I own a 50 hp that I bought new in 2014. Has run great from the moment I got. There is no vibration at idle and my buddies can't believe how quiet it is compared to the 97 evinrude it replaced. Just had the 3 year /300 hour service done and asked the mechanic about problems with the e-tech because of the problems posted on this site. He told me he rarely sees a problem on any of the motors except  for the 25/30 hp models which pretty much all have had water pump issues. There must be thousands of theses motors in use so I'm sure there are a few problems out there.  Maybe it's a rIgging issue as far as the vibration goes.  No regrets at all about mine. 

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you. Knowing this really gives me the confidence to insist there is something wrong with this engine. They are telling me there is nothing wrong.
Admiral

You may want your local Evinrude technician to check over your engine and adjust the idle speed if needed. A 2-cylinder engine will shake somewhat at slow speed and the rubber motor mounts should absorb most of the vibration. On some boats the harmonic can cause items to shake or rattle. Some dealers mount a plastic of vibration dampening plate between the boat and motor to minimize the felt movement.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

2012 60 owner here.Motor shake a little but no more than my friends 50 4 poke mercury.Zero noise a actually have totally forgot im actually running.

Skipper

I think we found the problem - there are no shake absorbing motor mounts - it is right on the stern with nothing to absorb the shake.  They cut a piece of thin rubber and put it on and it definetly helped but pretty micky mouse and I doubt it will last. 

Any one know of a specific mount that would work that I could ask for or buy myself?

Clp
Mate

I have just had a 50 hp Etec installed and we had our first run yesterday. I am concerned about the vibration at idle it runs through the boat. I took it back first thing this morning and was advised the vibration is normal for a 2 stroke. My 30 year old 40 hp didn’t vibrate like this
Captain

I have used a poly transom plate from Ocean South, especially on alloy hulls. It works well and cost is about $25. There is a system from VibraStop that is more complex and expensive with rubber mounts.
Captain

Get your dealer to water test the rig and use his laptop to adjust idle to the best running. It can be adjusted 250 RPM up or down.

Mate

Had my 2 x ETEC 50's on my RIB for 11 years now and they have never had a rough idle. Yes there is a bit of vibration but nothing excessive. Should not be causing the vibration that you explain. The 40/50/60 HP are basically the same engines mechanically.