Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: any 40hp / 50hp etec owners?

I have a 60hp on my aluminum bass boat for just about a year, no issues with the engine at all. Runs smooth, good power, quite and fuel efficient.

Highlighted
Mate

I just bought a 50hp ETEC from a local Evinrude dealer, and it runs great.  No undue vibration at any rpm.  I have it mounted (with mounting bolts) on a Lowe Rougneck 1650.  Boat is rated for a 50hp.  Motor is super powerful.  The hole shot is about 1 second.  I have a 19" pitch prop on it now.  Thinking I could stand more pitch.  I put a small tach gauge on it, and it shows I'm still getting about 5600rpm WOP at about 33.5mph.  Would like to trade a little of that power for a little more speed. 

Anyone running a higher pitch prop than 19" on a 50 ETEC?

Highlighted
Skipper

I've had a 40 hp etec tiller for about 9 months - only 9 hrs on it.  No vibration issue love the performmave BUT it has been in the shop twice in the past months with fuel pump issues - covered by warranty - dealer was great but I've lost conidence in the motor - considering selling soon...  Are these the same fuel pump issues as another poster mentioned that occur on 25 ande 30 hp's?   

Highlighted
Skipper

with that 60 hp. I also have a 60 e tec that runs great. have a 165 lowes fishing machine. with a 15 inch prop I get , depending on trim level, about 5800. That to me seems to be the best for the motor at wot. If you add more pitch to your 19 inch prop(at 5600 wot) seems it would try to increase speed, but maybe bog down the rpms to not a satisfactory level.

Highlighted
Skipper

sorry, I meant your 50 hp

Highlighted
Admiral

99.9% of all fuel pump issues are due to stale or contaminated fuel. That also applies to other makes of motors that use an electric fuel pump.  

9 hours use in 9 months leaves a lot of time for varnish deposits or phase separation if using E-10 gasoline

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Make sure you NEVER use any fuel that has more than 10% ethanol.  Straight gasoline is fine or E-10.  But NOT E-15 or E-20. I'm told this will ruin your motor.  Read owners manual on this.

Highlighted
Skipper

I have a 50 HP eTec purchased this past spring. Ran fine until a piston rod bearing failed and lost the whole powerhead.  Evirude dealer I purchased it from was heroic in getting me back on the water in just a few days. Brand new dressed powerhead from Evirude shipped overnite, installed and voila, on the lake that Saturday.

My question is this - could a 60 hp powerhead fit on a 50 hp lower unit? I say this becuase my top end speed is now 32-33 mph vs. 24-25 before the engine blew up. No complaints but curious if it's possible there were no 50 poweheads left so they just shipped a 60 (their not making them anymore :-\ ).  I looked it over carefully and couldn't discern any evident markings etc. that could lead to that conclusion.

Mine idles low but very smooth with little vibration. 

Scott

Highlighted
Captain

The 40, 50, and 60 hp engines all use the same powerhead and engine components. Most of the horsepower difference comes from the "tuning" in the EMM programing. The 60hp engine also has a water valve on the mid section to vary exhaust tuning.
Short answer, no, it is not possible that a replacement powerhead could give you a 60 hp engine.
It is extremely rare to have a rod bearing failure in an ETEC engine. Your original powerhead may have been underperforming since new.