Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

best prop size for all around performance

I am considering changing prop size for my Key West 196 to get the best all around performance, I am currently using 15 degree pitch prop. i have a really good hole shot with this prop however I am running over 4000 rpms to run around 35 mph I am looking for the right pitch to run a lower rpm at cruising speed any suggestions ?

Skipper

Re: best prop size for all around performance

We need to know the max RPM at wide open throttle. This is the RPM that you work with to tune your prop size. You should take your take your reading with a normal operating load of gear in the boat. Also need to know the HP rating so you can get the proper factory range,as the RPM range and limits are different on all engine sizes

Skipper

at wot I am running 5800 rpms at around 47 to 48 mph, with a 175 hp motor with the motor trimmed at 3/4 with no porpusing , the majority of people I have talked to say go with a 19" pitch , I guess i will have to experiment .

Admiral

First we need to know what make, model, and year motor you have to look up the recommended rpm range. What is the complete model number of your outboard?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

You are right on target with the RPMs' so I would not change the pitch up or down. You should be no more than 5850 RPM.  Do you know what the Make and model of the current prop is? The BRP Rebel will give you the best fuel economy and cruise RPM while the BRP Viper will give the better hole shot. I have a Solas Lexor 17" on my 175 and it is a perfect balance for my Pioneer 197 CC

Captain

I'm kind of in a quandry, I have a 22' deep Vee center console (24 degree constant deadrise hull), I will be running a 98 200 Ocean Pro.

Since the gas tankage is rather small for a boat this size, I want to get the best mid range cruising mileage. (3000-3500) I can get.

I was originally thinking Viper, but the Rebel sounds like what I should be considering.

My question, can I use a Rebel on a carburated 200 hp engine?, or is this prop really intended for the higher torque producing Etecs?

Admiral

My question, can I use a Rebel on a carburated 200 hp engine?, or is this prop really intended for the higher torque producing Etecs?

CC,

The Rebel series prop should work well for your size boat. You may have to try several sizes to get into the 5800 rpm range which is ideal for your motor. Start with the 15" Rebel to see how that performs.

If you have any more questions, please start a new thread as to not hijack this one started by Keywest196.

Thanks

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Keywest196 wrote:

at wot I am running 5800 rpms at around 47 to 48 mph, with a 175 hp motor with the motor trimmed at 3/4 with no porpusing , the majority of people I have talked to say go with a 19" pitch , I guess i will have to experiment .

I have to ask again, what make, model, and year motor do you have?

What make and style of propeller do you have now?

Captain

I have a 175 e-tech and was running  a19' pitch viper  hole shot was great top speed was around 47 knots with was good but only turning 5100 RPM asked my dealer and he gave me a 15" pitch rebel to try , results were perfect great hole shot lost 4 knots at top end ,but fuel economy was great  at the the price of fuel I was happy the speed loss didn't bother me since I enjoy my time on the water . rpm with the rebel at top end is 5450.

Admiral

Ideally you want your engine to turn 5500-5600 rpm for optimal performance.

With the 15" Rebel prop, experiment with engine height which can increase speed and rpm. Start with 2 holes higher if you can.

You could also try a 17"  Viper to see how that performs for you but the Rebel should give better economy.