Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

deceived by dealer

Well this is a long story so please bare with me. I went to the Evinrude dealer in Dec of 2015 looking for a 115 hp Etec engine with a 20" shaft and he told me he could get one for around 14K.He also told me he had a 2014 150hp with 20" shaft he could sell me all rigged for 12K. So we talked about it and he showed me the motor in his parts room. He said it was a brand new never used motor. I asked for some brochures and the dealer gave me a 2014 brochure and I went my way. I returned in Jan 2016 to see if he still had the motor and he did so we talked about it some more and I said so this is a 2014 model to be sure that's what he told me before and He confirmed that it was a 2014. I came back in Feb 2016 and put down 3K as a deposit and again asked the year. He told me yes it was a 2014 model. I sold my other motor in the first week of  March 2016 and  the next day I brought my boat in to be rigged with the new motor and a few accessories. I went back on 3/19/2016 to pick up my boat. We went over the new stuff he put on and about the motor. We went back into the store to settle up and I asked if there was a book that came with the motor he gave it to me and as he was writing up the warranty papers I noticed the book was dated 2010. So I asked again if this motor was a 2014 model. There was some hesitation on his part and he said he would have to look at the Motor. I knew then I just got deceived. We went out and looked at the motor and he confessed it was a 2010 model. He apologized and said he made a mistake. So he unloaded a 2010 model on me. Besides stating these facts and planning on calling Evinrude on Monday 3/21/2016. I want to know is this motor the same as a 2014 model? Will my 7 year warranty be honored? Have I been duped and should I  take the motor back. I feel like such an idiot. This deal is not as great as I thought I was getting .

Highlighted
Captain

Re: deceived by dealer

get the dealers name up here for the rest of us to see, BPR should get rid of some of their shady dealers, the onnis is on them to protect their brand!!

Highlighted
Admiral

For motors built in 2013 and later, Evinrude joined the rest of the outboard industry and eliminated annual model years. Everything is my model number now. If the motor has a change implemented into it, it gets and updated model number.  There is a tag that does specify the month and year of manufacture.

If the motor you received was a 2010 engine,  the last three letters in the model number would be " I " and " S "  then one additional letter such as F, M, C or R  at the very end.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

yes the tag on the motor says 7/2009 the model # is E150DSLISM

It also says on motor tag 2010 emissions

Highlighted
Admiral

Yes, that is definitely a 2010 model year motor that is almost 7 years old.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.