Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

engine cuts off

I have 2018 G2 250 this motor has cut off 7 different times once last week the tecs can not find the problem the boat will be at long island marine on monday 

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: engine cuts off

If it hasn't been done already, insist that the tech change out the keyswitch to the one with the gray sleeve per the service bulletin 2018-17(S).

What error codes are in the EMM  memory on your motor?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

There are no codes showing the motor just cuts off at random times. The key switch has not been replaced and it has a hesitation on the start side sometimes it will start or not. It cuts off at full speed and at idle no set place. This has been going on over 1.5 years now and two different dealers one evinrude service field tech. The boat spends more time at the dealer than at my home or in the water, there is 170 hrs on the motor. It cuts off so much we dont trust it to go to far from home. Any help with this would be nice. So far no one can find what is going on.

Highlighted
Admiral

Show your dealer the service bulletin number. The fact that you have a hesitation when you start the motor is the reason the new key switch and bulletin came about. 

If you are not getting the support from your dealer you can contact Evinrude with the engine serial number, dealer name, and your engine history at 
http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I got the key switch replced. This was a good fix on the starting problem and cut off issue. Now I have a code 212 power stereing service code. And the motor cuts off right after it is strated at least 2 times then it does fine. but after the switch replacement the motor runs great and I also changed the prop to a 19 motor RPMS now at 5500 to 5600. What can I do to fix the code 212.  Thanks for your help I have had a lot bad dealer ( ROCK OUTDOORS IN LEXINGTON NC ) BAD BAD DEALER . 

Highlighted
Admiral

Code 212 has to do with pressure sensor readings in the power steering. They now use a better quality sensor and they should replace both pressure sensors if one is faulty and that they are the older style.

The plugs should be checked for condition, wear, and gap and the exhaust back pressure sensor tube may be plugged with carbon. Those two items could be responsible for hard starting. 

Highlighted
Skipper

OK- here we are again. I got the boat back from long island marine after being there two weeks this past week which they replaced the sensors for the steering. Today I put the boat in to go fishing on a pretty day finally and now we have a low temp light and warning buzzer and no water pressure at idle. What can be done with this motor so we can have a good time on the water?????  This motor has been in the shop more than the water. But on the positive side it looks good going to the shop. This is sad. A trip to the shop is a 2 hour adventure and time off.  I would appreciate a response on how I should feel safe on the water especially when I'm alone or with my family. 

Highlighted
Captain

I have the same engine 2016 g2 250ho and it kicks butt. Have had my issues but my dealer I have used loyaly since the mid eighties always takes care of me within a week. Blew a few years ago my powerhead on Monday was back on the water the next Monday. Portland Marine Rocks.

Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

If you've been taking the motor to the same dealer shop everytime?

Switch dealer shops.  Not all shops have enough experience and training on these G2 motors.  Your warranty will be honored at any authorized E. BRP shop.

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/find-a-dealer.html

2 Platinum dealer shops in your area
GREAT OAK MARINA INC

850 MIDDLE COUNTRY ROAD, ST JAMES, NY, 11780-3218, US

6.8 miles

WHITE WATER MARINE SERVICE INC

300 PINE NECK AVE, EAST PATCHOGUE, NY, 11772, US

10.6 miles

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for the info but I live in Salisbury, N,C. not many choices here. The dealer I got it from is not a good shop to trust. THEY SUCK----ROCK OUTDOORS IN LEXINGTON STAY AWAY.