Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

engine has bump when using tilt trim

I have an Evinrude 200, model  E200dhlsch.  it is now in the shop try to diagnose problem.  What is  happening is when I use my tlt trim switch there is a slight  pump in the engine.  It only does it when I start to trim up and  not down.  They have been working with brp tech to figure out but yet have not come up with a solution.  My tech says that the engine is cutting out when the **bleep** trim is  used.  engine does not shut off just a short interruption.  has anyone experienced this?  It has about 900 hrs on it but it does run good.

Captain

Re: engine has bump when using tilt trim

Trim pump motor will pull a lot more current going up rather than down.  Increased current demand is placing greater demand on engine alternator output.

Have mechanic verify 55V remains stable when trimming down.  Could be pulling down 55V because battery is unable to supply current required.  Look for corroded/poor connections between battery and engine.  Battery with bad cell, etc.

Highlighted
Captain

checked the stator, as recommended by evinrude, capacitor also.  both  are fine and functioning well.  next step is to check the harness for the tilt trim.  it is the original harness from the 2000 ficht that was on the boat.  I repowered in 2008 with this current engine.  can this be the cause?????????

Admiral

A weak or too small capacity battery plus poor cable connections is often the problem giving the symptoms that you described.  Sometimes with a voltmeter both on the motor and on the battery will show the voltage drop when the trim UP is activated. The current draw on the trim motor under load should be monitored and compared to the factory specs.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

we believe we found the problem.  It appears to have been a bad ground in  the tilt trim harness.  They got that fixed and had it lake tested and working fine.  sure hope that does it.  Took awhile to locate problem.  thanks for your all assistance, I believe by relaying this info to them help to diagnose situation a lot quicker.