Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

etec 30

I have a 30hp ETEC mounted to jackplate on 16ft aluminum mod~v lowe hull.. 4 blade 10in/13 pitch prop.engine has performed flawlessly over the last 2 years, just shy of 200 hours. Oil consumption is great, aprrox 1 qt tcw3 every 20~30 gal fuel... only issue is the rooster tail on plane...if that can be considered an issue since it hides that im running an etec....unless ur behind me..lol. oh, and the uncle going overboard,..as the result of testing..he says "do figure 8`s!!!!" Seat broke....other than that, am EXTREMELY HAPPY~HAPPY with etec....now then...they make the G2 in a 40hp yet?!?!?!
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: etec 30

As a side note...fuel consumption at WOT is less than .8 gal an hour..at idle, disconnect the fuel line, order a pizza and take a nap...the only way you'll know the engine is still running is from the ripples...LONG LIVE ETEC!!!!! :-) :-)
Highlighted
Admiral

A large rooster-tail coming off the back of the motor means that the motor may not be trimmed up correctly or that the motor is too low in the water.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Yes Bill, the motor is running a lil deep, even with jackplate all the way up...17in transom, figured with 6 1/2 in of jackplate travel would cure a 20in shaft ( if was to purchase different hull...thats wat I git for thinking ahead..lol) minor issue, it will turn on a dime and give 9 1/2 cents change..has thrown me outta seat if too aggressive with steering...wear kill teather!!! Spend alot of time on narrow river with sharp turns, (and steady 10lb bass!:-)!!) following other boats that tend to slide....ill take the rooster as a trade off. Put motor in shallow drive, and will literally send boat vertical, will try to trim motor up one hole to see if that mite help,now that have more weight up front (battery),...previous owner had a lead acid battery in splash pan that leaked and ate wood,I have had rebuilt with sandwiched 3/4in marine ply and 1/4in plate aluminum, needless to say the stern will take just about anything thrown on it!!
Highlighted
Skipper

Well, im back, been a minute, lets see....driveshaft has snapped-in shop, got boat back, running across lake and crunch, ticking in lower unit, had to use reverse to get to dock-shopbroken tooth on forward drive, got boat back, ran good a few trips, hid under bridge from rain, motor wouldnt start, got VERY lucky another boat was running across lake for flushing from being in saltwater-shop, broken ears for pull rope, got boat back, cpl more trips..boat wont start-shop EMM failure ( about lost my cool and almost pulled drain plug to let boat deep 6,...wife stopped me) ANYWAY.... looking to repower with a few more hp, since etec wont make a 40 in a short shaft, looks like I might have to get a different manufacturer.....any suggestions??
Highlighted
Admiral

When you say "short shaft", you do mean the 15" shaft length, right?  

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.