Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain
Accepted Solution

help,, no oil light

took boat out  e-tec 150 2015 92 hrs on motor . buzzzer went off no oil light, have plenty in reservoir  squeezed bulb motor started smoking heavily.. spoke to dealer thats what he said to try possible bubble in line or pump failure. said to bring it in, easier said than done at this point..   is there anything I can look for or do prior to having it looked at by dealer?? motor was shaking real bad as I was idling back to dock.. your help is greatly apprieciated . thanks joe

Highlighted
Captain

Re: help,, no oil light

If this happened to me I would have shut motor off and got towed in and take to dealer as requested. Good luck!
Highlighted
Captain

it wasn't like the motor was not getting oil, smoking like it did, probably fouled the plugs
Highlighted
Admiral

Oil pumps on the E-TEC engines are very reliable making my guess that there is air somewhere in the oil lines or an air bubble in the pressure sensor passageway.

You can run the with an experienced driver and hold the oil primer ball so the arrow is facing up and slowly but steadily squeeze the bulb. It is best to have the boat at cruising speed or higher to help in burning off the excess oil off quickly and not allow it to accumulate in the engine. After the motor run for a while to clean out, perform the winterizing procedure.  That should eliminate trapped air in the system.

If the alarm sounds again, then it is "take it to the dealer time."

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

thanks mr bill, i assume if light is still on that I will not be able to purge the line as my throttle wil be limited

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Try performing the winterizing first if the light comes on right away..

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

thanks for the reply, will try the winterizing process .. joe

Highlighted
Captain

ok did the winterizing process, light did not come on right away or at any time, but during the process the motor did not smoke from the exhaust then shutdown as it was finished winterizing? is it supposed to smoke? like in the old days when fogging a motor?
Highlighted
Captain

I have never seen any smoke when doing the winteriation process on mine. I have done it 2 times in a row when my hull was replaced and the motor moved. It just smoked slightly when I got on plane afterwards for a few seconds. It may also depend on the oil you use. I use the XD-100 on the TCW3 setting

Highlighted
Captain

i thought about having it changed over to tcw-3 as well I use xd-100 thanks for the reply