Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: help,, no oil light

Winterizing is done at a fairly low rpm and there is not enough air flow through the crankcase to pick up large amounts of oil and carry it to the combustion chamber  - unless you winterizedit  several times in a row.

When you go to run the motor in the water, you will probably see a good puff of smoke when you first accelerate up on plane.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

ok thanks, lets just hope it was a one time deal, I kinda think the cold weather had somthing to do with it

Highlighted
Admiral

You are aware that XD-100 oil is recommended for temps below  40°F and mandatory near freezing temps, right?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

I use XD-100 , live in south florida , it doesn't get as cold as it does elsewhere . I am aware now. do you think its a good idea to switch over to the tcw-3 setting? I do run wide open for about 10 minutes when I go to a certain fishing hole. the price of using more oil is not an issue, just don't want to foul plugs
Highlighted
Captain

I am almost sure the XD-100 oil on the TCW-3 setting is recommended in commercial or heavy hard use. I have experienced no plug fouling as the XD-100 is very clean burning oil.
Highlighted
Admiral

You will not have a plug fouling problem as long as your motor is in good shape service-wise.

Highlighted
Captain

ok  thats what I was hoping to hear, thanks for the replys  ... happy boating to all

Highlighted
Captain

took her out last night, motor peformed well from long idling to long high speed runs , no lights or alarms!!      thanks again to all feeling good about my evinrood... pun intended

Highlighted
Mate

Re: help,, no oil light - Solution

Opened boat up for season yesteday and had the no oil light/alarm (again). I had it in the past but seamed to resolve itself after performing winterizing procedure a couple of times. This year was different. I filled oil tank and performed winterizing procedure 4 or 5 times. No luck. Even had oil dripping out of the prop. I knew engine was getting oil. It was interesting that if I started the engine and went into fast idle before the no oil alarm it never came on. It only came on when I was in neutral at idle. Stopped by my dealer and spoke to them about it. They said it sounded like an air bubble which gave me some peace of mind. They told me to run the engine at idle and see if it woul work itself out. Again, no luck.

Finally after hours of research on-line I found a solution that worked for me. While performing the winterizing procedure, when the engine starts fast idling, continuously sqeeze the oil bulb. Shut off and restart, Light was out. I restarted 3 times to be sure and let it run.

I am a very happy man today.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: help,, no oil light - Solution

There probably was an air bubble trapped in a loop of the oil hose or in the primer ball