Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Re: ‘hot air sensor’ reading on Icon Pro tach and audible alarm...

Any Dealer has the tools necessary to perform this update.  They simply need to obtain the firmware from the factory.

Captain

Phew, hope so Smiley Happy  Closest dealer is 20 miles by water so hoping this sensor doesn't morph into something else...  Will keep the board posted, although it may be a while by the time I hear back and get a plan in place.

Captain

Last happened to me on July 4th.  Was out fishing with the kids before lunch time.  After running to the fishing spot at 4500rpms or so, i came off plane and idled over to my spot.  No ICON here, so i didn't get the warning or anything.  Engine temps were well within range.  I got an engine history report a couple weeks ago and apparently it's happened 3 times over the life of my engine.  All three had nothing to do with engine or EMM above range.

Haven't worried about it, and continue to run it like normal.  Seems like some improved air flow might help, but as long as the engine and EMM are in range, i'm not too worried.

2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Captain

[ Edited ]

Hmmm... Interesting.  Thanks for that.

You're probably lucky you don't have the Icon Pro gauges cause when that alarm comes on, you'd better be wearing underwear!  Thinking of putting some ear plugs on board, just in case ... seriously.

Good news is that I went out this A.M. and it was cooler.  Watched the engine temp and that was fine, again, and no 'hot air sensor' warning or alarm this time.  Also got a nice Chinook into the boat.  Smiley Happy

At least it will motivate me to stay off the water during the heat of the day when fishing sucks anyways...

Captain

Nah. Don't let the hot air keep you off the water. I bet the black motors heat up much more than the white ones though.
Captain

I suspect you are right about the black (graphite) engines getting hotter than the white ones...  I popped into the local Evinrude dealer today as I made the trek into town.  That's exactly what the mechanic said too.  He wants me to send my serial number to him and he will make some inquiries.

Skipper

I have 2018 G1 Black Ho 150 happened to me once last year on an extremely hot day ,

Captain

Good to know, thanks.  That 150 HO must really boogie  Smiley Happy

Captain

So here is the reply from the dealer who sold the builder...

So here is the reply from the dealer who sold the builder the engine...

'It's was the perfect storm Al.

Graphite Motor

Hot day

Sun shining directly on the engine cowling

No air flow

Amounting to an alarm condition.  You want to know these things instead of making them go away.

Its telling you to take a measure to reduce heat .

Advise if it happens again.

David.'  

Now that I think I know why it happened, it may in fact be good that the alarm sounded when it did.  As long as it doesn't become a recurring theme during cooler or breezier days, then it makes good sense.  At this point, in my case, I probably wouldn't consider getting an software update / mod to increase the alarm temperature.  

Captain

Re: So here is the reply from the dealer who sold the builder...

How do you reduce heat on a hot, no wind day with a black motor, when you want to stop and fish? Put a cool, white towel over the motor? I wonder how the hot air negatively affects the motor if the engine and EMM temps are within range?