Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

how to check the hours

Is there a way to keep track of the hours on a 150 etec ho ?

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: how to check the hours

On all low-emission computer-controlled outboards, the EPA requires the engines to keep track of running hours. On yours, a dealer can access the on-board computer, called an EMM, and give you a printout of the hours, any error codes, and the running times at various rpms, along with other data.

Talk to your dealer. Most will hook up their laptop and print out a report for you  as it does not take long. The cost should be nominal. Good dealers give or email their customers an engine report whenever the required  maintenance is performed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

I have a question concerning the on-board computer, (the EMM), and the print out from the "dealer / certified repair centers"..

My 30hp ETEC (2010, under a 5 year warranty) is currently in the shop having a factory recalled water pump and impeller replaced.. Am I "out of line", as the owner, to be requesting a print out, free of charge..??

I personally can't imagine being "charged" for a print out, (except perhaps for the paper and ink), as the engine / EMM has been accessed by the certified technician to diagnosis and repair the problem (a factory recalled waterpump and impeller)..

Highlighted
Captain

Talk and discuss this with the dealer, he should be able to do it for you at little or no cost

The Postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Mate

You can also replace your gauges with I-Command  or ICON and get additional engine info too.

Highlighted
Admiral

As HUTCHIE suggested, talk to your dealer as he has to access the EMM to determine the engine hours for the warranty report. It is normally saved onto the laptop to be quickly accessable.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Got my 30hp ETEC back last Weds.. The certified / authorized repair center had replaced the waterpump and impeller free of charge.. He also gave me a printout of the EMM----free as charge, as well..

I was very impressed with the professionality and service of the business owner / mechanic and will be a customer as long as I am the proud owner of this 30hp ETEC engine..

She's running great, running strong and "peeing" like an 8 year old kid..!!

Highlighted
Admiral

rvrvmike,

Sorry but the 30hp and smaller E-TECs cannot use the I-Command gauge as it is not NMEA2000 networking equipped. Only the 40hp and larger engines currently manufactured are compatable with networking that the ICON and I-Command gauges need to operate.