Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

hydraulic steering?

My smokercraft 172xl came with "no feedback" steering. I've been told this is a little risky considering it has a 150 on it. It can also be a bear to steer when not trimmed out. Any thoughts on installing a hydraulic steering kit? Would this hook up to my existing steering wheel or do I need to retrofit a new one into my dash?
Skipper

Re: hydraulic steering?

Hydraulic steering is an awesome option, I have had it on my previous boat. I will be putting is on my new boat as soon as I can. Yes you will have replace your helm.
(The helm is the pump for the fluid)They com in kits, some will even include lines. They even make through hole fittings that give it and awesome appearance.
With a traditional cables any time cable has a bend steering effort is increased. They also are very prone to fail in moist climates and salt.
Hydraulic steering has only one con and that is the price.
Rigging is the key these are fluid filled lines , they have to be secure!! Not rubbing on anything that will wear the hoses through. Nice tight connections. When rigging is right it will last for years.
Admiral

Chances are your steering wheel can be used with a hydraulic steering kit consisting of a helm, hoses, and hydraulic cylinder.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks for the response. By the looks of it I think the boot that covers what's in place may cover the new hydraulic helm keeping the original look which is what I'm after. Now my main concern for replacement is safety. I feel like the cable steering could snap under full power and leave me flying out of the boat at 50mph. Any thoughts about this? If it's a non issue or not likely then I may do it later rather than sooner.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Boaters have used cable steering for over 50 years. Never saw one snap unless severely neglected in saltwater with massive amounts of rust and with a split outer covering. Usually corrosion will cause the cause the cable to bind up during storage.

Steering cables and hardware have to meet stringent strength requirements regulated by the 1971 and 1978 Boating Safety Acts

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks bill. That's good to know.
Skipper

I've had three outboard ski boats. One double cable, one single cable push pull type and a Seastar Hydraulic system. The seastar is fantastic. Under full throttle pulling up a skier it is very hard to make steering connections with the cable systems. No problems with the Seastar. One handed corrections are easier whilst you can ballance the throttle with the other. I recently repowered my 140 horse Mercury with a 135 HO ETEC. The Seastar swapped straight over to the Evinrude without the need for any extra parts or modifications. You don't need the trim tab to counter steering torque so there is no adjusting to do. You can let go of the wheel and it tracks straight and true. I would highly recommend this type of steering. When I blew the Merc up at Xmas we skiied behind a 75hp with push/ pull steering and it was a real handfull.

Go for it. Regards Waz

Captain

I bought the BAYSTAR HC4645H for my 135HO because it says it is good for motors up to and not over 150hp. Installing today and there is a 1 1/2 inch difference to connect the support bracket to the cylinder. The cylinder is mounted in the furthest back hole in the motor bracket. As of right now their support tech..SUCK. I really think I just need different support brackets that will reach out that 1 1/2 inches and maybe the SEASTAR has that.