Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: i.d. serial number without id plate

Here's my issue. I have a model number and a serial number that points to a 1966 6hp that was obtained from the plate off of the mounting bracket. Problem is, from searching images of that years model, it looks nothing like what I have. The cowling says 9.9. The engine resembles the 9.9 and 15 hp except minor differences.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

The 9.9 hp and its 15 HP was not introduced until 1974 and the exhaust travels through the propeller hub.

Post clear images of all sides of the powerhead, of the motor cover decals, the serial number tag, and of the side of the whole motor and the gearcase

hp

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hey Bill,

I just recently bought my first boat. It has what I was told a 30hp Johnson on it. It doesn't have the model number plate on it but I have taken a few pics of the outboard and the freeze plug number is A7600082. I just wanted to know if you could help me out with what year model it is.

How do I add the pics to the thread?

Cheers mate
Admiral

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#imageshttp://community.evinrude...

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images2#images2

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks mate!

Here's some pics of the outboard.

IMG_1901.JPGIMG_1900.JPGIMG_1899.JPGIMG_1895.JPGIMG_1897.JPGIMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

The number on the silver disc is not a serial number so we cannot go by that.

The motor and cover has been repainted and model year 2000 decals were installed on the sides of the cover.

The electric start wiring looks older than the motor and the engine block appears to be mid-1980s . My guess is the electric starter was added as a kit or came from another motor. Luckily most parts were similar over the years. The first 30 HP of that family of engines came out in 1984.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Hello Bill,

Sorry to keep putting you to work. I've got an old 30 hp Evinrude that I've had a few problems with, and the bad luck of a slew of crappy marine engine mechanics that have caused even more issues. So I've decided to try my hand at getting the motor in shape but want to get a manual for the motor. There's no plate to id the motor so was hoping for help. The marine shop I bought it from said it was an 86, but a friend said there was no way because the decals and a few thing were wrong for an 86 so I'm hoping you can help out. Here' are the pics I've got let me know if it's enough.

angled left side.jpgright.jpgrear.jpgangled left side.jpgupper front.jpgplug.jpg

The motor was running fine until last weekend when part of the throttle linkage snapped, and part of a bracket got bent, and some wiring got damaged. It appears to me that the last person who worked ont he motor didn't properly tighten a part under the flywheel and when it came loose it damaged the motor.

On that note, can anyone suggest a good manual for this motor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Admiral

[ Edited ]

the motor cover decals appear to be from the 1989-1991 era.

For manuals order from   www.outboardbooks.com 

Skipper

Thanks Bill,

Is there anything about the motor that would suggest a particular year?

Does it matter which service manual I get, or are the motors pretty similar over 89 to 91?

I was looking at the service manual for model E30ECED.

Thanks!

Admiral

For the most part, the engines are pretty much alike. If there are any differences, you can find them by looking up the parts for the various years at shop2.evinrude.com and compare part numbers