Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: i.d. serial number without id plate

Hi All!

Greetings from Sweden.

I have just bought an old American sports boat, a Jones Tunnel Hull.

The boat is equipped with a Johnson 225HP outboard according to previous owner. 

The motor has been painted white by someone, and has no decals or motor plate. The only marking of the motor that I have discovered is the serial number: G3636806.

It is a V6 two stroke engine with carburetors, and the engine cover looks like it is a 1993-2000 year model when I compare with spare parts catalogues online.

I would be very grateful if it is possible to determine, which engine it is.

Admiral

@JonesTunnelHull wrote:

The only marking of the motor that I have discovered is the serial number: G3636806.

It is a V6 two stroke engine with carburetors, and the engine cover looks like it is a 1993-2000 year model when I compare with spare parts catalogues online.

We will look it up for you but it may take a day or so if it is on record.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

engine serial #3636806 is a 1994 Johnson model J225CZER

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you very much!

Not quite 2002, that the previous owner thought! 😀
Skipper

Hi All,

New guy here. I found you while trying to find out about a motor I have. That like others on this thread, has no ID tag. Just a serial number on the freeze plug. That number is R8616989. I'll post some pictures. It is a 15 HP Johnson. Being someone with very little boat knowledge. I'm just guessing from the information I could find. It is a 1989 electric start body. With a 1987 rope start engine. Due to the carborator not having the plastic top. But does have the thermostat on the upper part of the head. With some of the electric start parts and ignition, minus the charging system from the 1989 swapped to it. I sure hope to steered in the right direction, if my wild guess is wrong. So I can get the right parts.

I've been trying to load some pictures and keep getting an unexpected error. I'll keep trying to get it right. In the meantime I hope the serial number can get us somewhere

Thanks,

Phil 

Admiral

Serial # 8616989  was assigned to a 1990 Johnson® model J15RES 

Skipper

Thank you, Bill.

Phil

Skipper

Hi guys

Just recently bought a Johnson 90hp v4 outboard and can't find a model number to identify it. I only have the serial number A7606169 any help identifying model and year would be greatly appreciated.
Highlighted
Admiral

Please ask again in the middle of next week when the factory opens up again and we can look it up for you.

Skipper

Awesome thanks @BluewaterBill I will do