Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

new engine blown within 5 minutes

Bought my mother a new etec 90 for xmas. We put it in xmas for the very 1st time. It cranked right up but after 2-3 minutes it seemed to idle rough. We made it 200 yards through the no wake zone at idle speed and i gave it about half throttle. The motor cut off and basiclly locked up. After a long paddle of a pontoon boat back in i had to get in the cold water to load the boat.I then had to drive 50 miles back home which i had not planned on doing. I had planned on leaving the pontoon at a friends house on the lake. A few days later I had to take the boat another 40 miles to the dealer at Allen's Marine in Florence SC. I also had to take this time off work which was a half a day to take the boat to the dealer.So, far this etec has cost me time and money. I had to wait several more days because, evinrude was closed for the holidays which was fine. I then called them and was once again disappointed. I explained my issue and she listened well and was nice. But , basicly told me that they would do nothing extra besides fixing it. Okay lets look at this closely I bought a brand new in the box engine which had 0hrs never mounted demo engine which came with a 5yr warranty instead of 10yrs. I was insured by the dealer that I bought it from not Allen's Marine that these are great engines so, they really don't need the longer warranty. I have always been an evinrude/johnson man owning at least 50 engines but, never a new one until now. All I have aksed for is that evinrude extend my warranty to the 10 yrs for my troubles and I was told no. Lets go back again to my problem the engine made it 200 yrds and locked up if this was a new car it would not have made it out the parking lot.Im sure the great guys at Allen's Marine will fix it but, now I have a rebuilt engine. I bought a new one and have no faith at this moment in the etec.This is why I want the extended warranty. Unless something changes I may have the switch to the black or grey motors that I have never liked...                                                                                         

Admiral

Re: new engine blown within 5 minutes

[ Edited ]

Please give us the serial number of the motor so it can be investigated and accept our apologies that your motor did not perform as expected. That is not a normal occurrence.

You mentioned you bought it in a box, did an authorized Evinrude dealer install and rig the motor or was it done by someone else? 

Was the required SystemCheck gauge and a warning horn or ICON Pro gauge installed to alert the boat operator of an engine problem such as NO OIL, TEMP, LOW OIL, or CHECK ENGINE?

Was the oil system purged by a tech using a laptop and was the motor run to determine the correct prop for your boat? Was an initial engine report downloaded and saved?

Did you and the dealer sign the required pre-delivery form which is needed for warranty registration?  

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

serial 05494819  i don't know what checks were done. It was installed by Allens Marine a certified evinrude dealer. for controls,prop, and install I paid over $1700. I unstand things happen but, 200 yards and it blew. 

Skipper

The prop was picked out and installed by the dealer I didn't even ask the pitch. I never got it over about 3000 rpms. Allen's has already started a ticket and I believe a new powerhead will be installed but, makes me wonder if it will happen again leaving my elderly mother stuck on the lake.I have already ordered a trolling motor to install on the boat. I do hope it's just a one in a million case and just my bad luck. I do not putting a bad commit on the internet about a product and have never posted anything before at all but, I am upset about this engine. If evinrude does not give me the extended warranty it makes me wonder why this engine was a demo model but 0 hrs does evinrude know something I don't about this one engine. All others have the 10 yr warranty..

Admiral

cmcinville wrote:

---it makes me wonder why this engine was a demo model but 0 hrs does evinrude know something I don't about this one engine. All others have the 10 yr warranty..

Your engine was a promotional item whose warranty registration started on the day of delivery to the dealer, 4-28-17, and has factory coverage through 4-27-22.  Any questions about the status of the motor when you purchased it and what your bill of sale states is between you and the selling dealer.

Be sure to have the repairing dealer run the boat, if possible, to check propping rpm and do a vacuum and bubble-test on the boat's fuel system to avoid any air leaks or restrictions in the fuel system which can contribute to engine problems.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I do understand the engine was a promational engine but, its obvious that evinrude don't trust this particular engine enough to give the 10 yr warranty that all others have. The warranty is all I'm asking for the trouble I had and the extra money I have spent for my traveling and time off work. If the engine would have blown up after I used it a few times I could understand but, 5 minutes and 200 yards. I understand what you are saying about the rpm and airleaks. I told the dealer to pick me out a prop and this engine should have run longer than 5 minutes if there was a softball size hole in the tank. The fuel line is new and the tank has run the old johnson for years. The dealer did even pumped out my tank and installed fresh gas during the install and I never added gas before running.To say I have always loved johnson/evinrude in an understatement and I still own 6 older ones that I still use. This is one reason I'm so disappointed.Once the powerhead is installed I'm sure it will run but, unless something changes my mind I will repower before, the warranty runs out with a grey motor.At least I saved enough money on the promotional price to buy a good trolling motor.It would have come in handy xmas day.

Admiral

Only new unregistered and unused retail motors are eligible for the 10 years of factory coverage.

Your motor was considered registered and put into use in April of last year as a promotional dealer demonstration motor. The current 10 year coverage program was not in effect.

Skipper

Both dealers told me that the engine had 0 hours when installed. The engine was packaged in the original box and was unpacked by the dealer only I never touched it. If you are saying it was run before, I bought it that means I was told the wrong information or someone reset the computer back to 0 hrs right?

Captain

A demo engine can be ordered by a dealer, the intent is that a dealer will install it on a shop owned boat and use it to demonstrate the engine. The warranty on the engine begins when the dealer receives the engine. The intention is for the dealer to use the engine for less than a year and then sell it at a reduced cost. Apparently your dealer never used the engine therefore it was still in the box.
Skipper

Just picked up my pontoon boat. A new powerhead was installed I hope this one with last longer than 16 minutes..