Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

new owner 60 etec

Hello! im a new owner of a 60 etec which i just took out for its maiden voyage.Some questions i have concerning the running today.My boat is a cedar strip runabout that weights approx 600 lbsTthe dealer put on a 15p prop and while testing my tac showed 6500 rpm .wot.Is there not a rev limiter on the 60 and if so whats the limit at?IM thinking a 17p prop would be more in line with a boat that light.Also how is the rpm set? ,Id like to have it as low as possible at idle.Also if i decide to use xd-100 all the time should i get the dealer to set it on that?thanks

Admiral

Re: new owner 60 etec

First you have to check the tachometer accuracy and make sure it is on the 6 pole setting, not the 5 pole one.

Your dealer can also check the tach with his laptop diagnostic software.

If the tach is accurate, then you should try a higher pitch prop to get the rpms in the optimum range of 5600-5700 with a normal load of passengers, fuel, and gear.

For the very best in engine protection, run your 60hp at the factory oil setting but use the XD-100 oil. Also if you run short  at any time, you can use any brand of TC-W3 outboard oil without problems.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

my tac was set for a 1982 90 hp evinrude.the dealer set it up for me ,said it was ok to use.like everybody else i think they underestimated how light the boat is even though i told them so.

Captain

I have to agree with Bill regarding your tachometer accuracy.

The rev-limit for 40–60 HP E-TEC models is 6250 rpm. If the engine speed reaches that level, it won't go much beyond, because the EMM begins cutting fuel and ignition to reduce rpm. When that happens, it is very noticeable to the operator.

Also as Bill mentioned, the diagnostic software has a utility that sends an (approximate) 2440 rpm signal to the tachometer which allows the user to determine the accuracy of the tach. Although most tachometers are NOT adjustable, at least you have an idea of its accuracy.

Based on the observations you provided I suspect your tachometer setting is correct, but I suspect it reads high.

-John

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Captain

Thanks guys the tac was indeed reading high ,some how it was on 5 not 6 .According to the laptop, i was indeed running perfectly .