Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

no oil light coming on.

i have a 1996 evinrude 90hp. i just bought the bought the boat from a dealer. the first time i took it out after about ten minutes of running at about 2000 rpm the no oil light came on. I shut it off and started back up the light stayed off. i could smeel oil in the exhaust. ran it for about ten minutes and the light came on again. i shut it down and found that the primer bulb for the gas was sucking air and leaking gas. i taped up both ends of the primer bulb. It staopped leaking gas and the no oil light did not come on again the rest of the day. I replaced the primer bulb and took the boat out again. after about ten minutes the no oil light came on again. i taped up that primer bulb. it ran fine for a few hours. i started it back up after being anchored for a few hours and the no oiil light came on again but this time it would only take about 5 minutes. I could smell oil in the exhaust every time. I did premix mix my gas 100:1 from the start. is there something simple i am missing or should i be taking the boat back to the dealer.

Admiral

Re: no oil light coming on.

[ Edited ]

Having to tape up a leaking fuel primer bulb is unsettling. Since you just bought it, take it back to the dealer.

You should use a properly sized genuine Evinrude bulb that matches the hose ID with proper clamps.

The NO OIL light warning is the result of required oil pressure pulses not agreeing with the engine RPM.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.