Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

oil to gas ratio G2

I am waiting on my 250 HO G2 to arrive. Can you estimate how much oil is used to gas? Understand the speed will determine the ratio used. Just a ball park figure. I have seen a figure of 200 hours per tank of oil. This seems really lean..

Skipper

Re: oil to gas ratio G2

I just got back from our first 5 days of fishing on mine and oil consumption was just a little under 1 gallon per engine.  I believe for the first couple hours the EMM puts more oil into the system then leans out after that so I would expect an improvement on the next trrip.  We had long days on the water with a good mix of time trolling at idle + a few rpm and time on step getting offshore and back.  200 hrs might be possible but likely have to be mostly at low rpm to get there.  Hope this helps but I know others on here will have loads more data to give a more accurate number for you.    

Captain

RealTrouble, I don't understand your first sentence. Can you clarify your statement?
Ranger Ryan
Skipper

[ Edited ]

Hi Bob.  I only listed the length of time we where out fishing (5 days) as I didn't check total hours on the engines for the trip.  I used about 3 gallons of oil between 3 engines and fuel consumption estimated at 300+ gallons of fuel burned (will know true fuel burn when I fill before the next trip).  We likely ran each engine 50+ hours but that's just an estimate based on 5 long days on the water.

Captain

That sounds quite efficient to me. Thanks for the input. My G2 seems pretty efficient so far
Ranger Ryan
Mate

I have a 250HO on a Ranger Z521 with a total of 64 hours. So far I have used 5gallons of oil and 264 gallons of fuel..I have been told that this engine requires XD100 oil but at the oil fill port it states that the engine has been programmed to use XD50, synthetic tcw3 or XD100 oil.. So much for fuel efficiency if you have to spend so much or oil..

The engine performs outstanding. The oil consumption is the only draw back.

I called consumer Service and questioned the factory set for oil and was toldnthanthese engines leave the factory set for XD100 oil which doesn't appear to be the case..

Highlighted
Captain

The oil/gas ratio isn't really that relevant anymore. The G2 is way better on fuel consumption than the G1, and most other engines.. So if an engine uses less fuel  to out put the same power as another engine, the gas/oil ration is going to look worse, for the sole reason that it's more fuel effecient. The oil injection rate is based on lubrication requirements based on engine load, it has nothing to do with fuel consumption.

Captain

Muskiemouth nailed this one!  Oil/fuel ratio is no longer relevant.  Read his posting again.  It explains exactly how it is.

Mate

With all that being said, over the 65 hours of use it works out to about 52 gallons of gas to a gallon of oil.

i really was questioning what is the 250HO G2 programmed to use, XD50 Or XD100.. If the engine leaves the factory ready to run on XD 50 then I understand why it is using this amount of oil.. Also my dealer said there is no program option to change oil setting on the G2's..

Captain

Your dealer os right.

The fact that you're still comparing the oil usage to fuel usage means you're missing the whole point here. You went a lot further on that 50 gallons of gas. Buy an engine wilth 40% worse fuel economy, then your usage numbers numbers are 75 gallons of gas to 1 galoon of oil.