Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

portable battery charger question / 90 h.p.

My new boat will have only one correctly sized battery for a new E-Tec 90HP ( not HO ). There will be a battery switch. Occasionally I'll recharge that one battery with a quality 4 stag, 12 volt, 1.25 amp., reverse polarity protected,  portable battery charger. The charger also has a temperature compensation feature. The charger will be disconnected and removed not long after the float stage is achieved and the battery is fully charged. There will be no wing nuts, no jumper cable type connections and no sparks.

Any problems related to the engine in charging this way on occasion ? Is it necessary, or advised, that I turn  the battery switch off while charging?

Thanks....

Admiral

Re: portable battery charger question / 90 h.p.

With the battery switch OFF while charging should not be a problem. Because automotive portable battery chargers may not worry about stray currents for automobile charging, it is advisable not to use it while the boat is in the water. No problem on a trailer or a boat lift.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks Bluewater Bill !

I truly appreciate the expertise. I do need to charge the battery while the boat is in the water and  I had overlooked any concern with stray current. I will want to " top off " the battery on occasion and access to shore power at the dock is limited so the charger cannot be on continually as most marine chargers are designed. By the way, my simple rig has no built in shore power so therefore no galvanic isolator. Grounded ac for the charger comes directly from the dock pedestal via a 30 amp. marine grade shore power cord. The manufacturer of one marine charger, from the West catalog, says their  on board unit can be used on an occasional " top off" basis with my particular battery size. I want to protect my new E-TEC. I could disconnect the battery completely and use my fancy automotive charger but I think I could be doing more harm than good with the potential for sparks and spikes ?

Is it your recommendation that I go ahead and spend the money for a " marine " rated battery charger ?

Many thanks...

Admiral

[ Edited ]

todd3 wrote:

Is it your recommendation that I go ahead and spend the money for a " marine " rated battery charger ?

Yes

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Done and thanks for your time. 

Admiral

Good luck to you and remember to always boat safe.