Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

power steering problem yet again

I am having steering problems with my 2016 g2 engines yet again. This is the 5th time since August they will have been at the dealer to have the steering fixed. I cant even take the boat offshore because im afraid I will lose my steering and I am so discusted with the boat I dont even want to use it.  I am constantly having problems with the engines and this is to the point of being crazy the engines only have 181 hours on them.

I would not recomend an evinrude to anyone I know after owning these.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: power steering problem yet again

We are sorry to hear that your steering has not been fixed completely and that the root cause was not corrected. That is surprising as the power assisted steering is one of the most liked features of the Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards and works very well.

Please accept our apologies and send an email to   http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html   with the engine serial number, dealer name, and the history of the motor. Evinrude will look into it for you. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I had my G2 steering rebuilt a few times with weeks of downtime and haulout fees and trailer rental.

They finally sent a whole new steering unit which would certainly indicate they know there was a problem.

The new one won't overcome the torque of the prop when coming out of the hole so no steering during that period.

I have had two other friends with G2 steering issues.

They KNOW there is a problem

Admiral

There should be no loss of steering assist when coming up on plane. Ask your tech to contact Evinrude dealer support for assistance.  You can also send an email with the serial number, dealer name, and what the symptoms are along with what has already been done.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Sir i have 300hp g2. They have lroblem on steering system. Its hard to turn in port side. Its right if i replace dps manifold and high pressure and low pressure sensor? What parts you think i replace to return again the steering system to fuction normal.
Skipper

Skipper

I have 2015 300hp g2 where steering fluid leaks from top seal of worm gear. Anyone else? I got thrown out of boat last night
Admiral

Seacraft,

Posting multiple questions or statements is not required on this site. Please refer to the resonse at your duplicate comment.

Thank you.

Mate

I still am having steering issues. I haven't used the boat all summer as I am sick of the **bleep** thing its annoying to.keep taking the boat to the dealer and having to pay the dealer to fix a problem that they don't actually fix.

I will never buy another evinrude I spent 50k+ on these motors and they are unusable and evinrude could careless.
Admiral

We are sorry that the steering problems have not been fixed.   

Why should you be paying a dealer for the repairs when they are warranty related?  If the steering problems are due to contamination or  residue from the boat's hydraulic steering system, then the boat's steering component repair would not be Evinrude's responsibility.

Please contact Evinrude again and explain your situation.