Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

rpm"s

I have a 2007 stratos with the 200HO  it was rebuilt after a meltdown about 4 years ago when I bought the boat it would go about 70 mph (i never really watched the rpm)  after the rebuild and going throught the "used car" thing fixing stuff, the computer went out  so i switched mechanics and it has been perfect  EXCEPT it barely hits 5000 rpm   I let it go and just enjoyed the boat being dependable  I have discussed with the mechanic these things and he doesnt know  the motor runs great but im a guy and just want it to do what it is supposed to do   There have been no prop changes or anything  it feels like a governor that it wants to go but it's being held back   lie more fuel needed or something  it is serviced like it should be  non ethanol gas  any ideas

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: rpm"s

[ Edited ]

There could be a number of things causing lower rpm than normal. 70 MPH with a 200 HO is remarkable. What propeller, top rpm, boat model, etc did you have to get that speed?
What is your engine model number?

Be sure your mechanic is E-TEC factory trained, if not it may be better to find an experienced one.

The basics are :

compression test

ignition test 

fuel pressure test at all speeds

air bubble monitoring with vacuum gauge

linkage, throttle, and TPS inspection

cylinder balance test at speed.

Engine transom height

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

thanks Bill. I will have to look up the engine model etc  this is a 2007 stratos 294xl  it is tested frm the factory(this model) to do the 70 mph  it was a recommended etec shop  though I did have to leave them  seemed they had the boat too much  my new mechanic is pretty good  maybe not etec known but has done well for me in other ways with the same boat  Its still the same prop i believe there is a simple thing(hoping)  it dfeels like the motor is being held back like a governor  maybe more fuel im not a mechanic for these days  i played with cars growing up but these computers run everything  i just need to find the right person to unlock my 5mph  lol

Highlighted
Mate

Mr Bill my prop is 141/2x26 modelE200DHLSUA  my rpm is now 5000 maxxx  the motor is supposed to hit around 5500.  I it maybe 64-65 gps now  that loss of rpm's is the boat out of the water and past the chine walk  I miss it