Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

searching for ilink answer

hello all.here's my dilemma.i have a 2017 40 etec and a 2017 alumacraft escape 145 cs.for those of you unfamiliar with the boat the dash is extremely small.i have no real estate to mount another gauge.right now it's just the system check.to upgrade to icons and run the nmea2k system i'm looking at almost $800 for just a basic setup with one gauge.i have figured out that i can run the basic engine/power link and 1 connector and use the yacht device wifi gateway module that's less than half the price of a single icon pro 3.5, which doesn't need an app to get the gauges page,just a browser, or i can go the ilink route.the ilink appears to be the same concept as the  y/d  wifi gateway but the ilink says it's for the g2.does anyone know if it will give me the basic info for my etec 40? i'm just looking for rpm,engine hours and amps.i have a humminbird helix 7 but it's just the basic fishfinder w/o the gps and all the other stuff i never used on my old one so upgrading it to to one that reads nmea 2kisn't in the cards for the forseeable future.so,think an ilink would work on a 40 etec?

Captain

Re: searching for ilink answer

Yes, the i-link module will work with G1 engines.
I-link module MSRP is $360
Icon pro tach without GPS antenna is $394
Other options to consider are the Simrad GO5 xe or Lowrance Elite 7" TI2. Both of these units will have customizable screens for Evinrude engine data and include a GPS receiver.
Admiral

You can also pick up an NMEA2000 network starter kit  and an Evinrude cable which gives you everything you need to connect to an ICON Pro gauge.  You will be way less than $800

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

unfortunately,up here in canada the icon tach runs $465 w/o tax and the starter kit and engine drop down cable is $165 w/o tax and i believe the power supply comes with 1 connector which is all i would need.i can add the backbone cable when/if i ever upgrade the fishfinder.just so happens the boatshow starts this week so i'm going to see if evinrude has a display there.

Captain

hemifoot... please keep us posted on what you find if BRP has an Evinrude display.  I have been wondering the same thing...   When I searched the vendors that are supposed to be at the boat show, it did indicated Evinrude would have a booth.  I won't be making the trek to Vancouver unfortunately  Thanks.

Captain

A network starter kit should have several T's.
A minimum network would have 3 T's, two terminating resistors, 1 short bus/drop cable to connect a device and an Evinrude engine cable which is 15 ft long and also includes a T. An additional bus cable may be needed to extend the network length.
The downside to using the i-link is that you may have to connect your phone to it every time you power up the engine.
Skipper

anyone know if the ilink app will work with any wifi gateway other than the ilink module?i have the yacht devices wifi module and i'm not too crazy about the web gauges.they'll work but i like the looks of the ilink one much more.they both do the same thing,no?

Admiral

The iLink is designed specifically for the Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboard on the NMEA2000 network protocol. It is doubtful it would work on anything else.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

yes,but what i'm refering to is the app,not the module.the app needs the wifi and the nmea signal from the engine,just like the yacht devices wifi module provides.

Admiral

All you can do is try, and if by chance it works, please let us know.