Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

troubles again with trim tilt motor

Had trim tilt motor replaced a little while back and things have been good. When running I can trim it up and when i get into shallow water i can trim it up. When i get back to the lift i trim it up all the way to hook up to flush out the motor. Was out fishing the other day and trimmed the motor up and down several times, came back put boat in lift and trimmed it up all the way hooked up flush hose and trimmed motor down to let it flush. After a while trimmed motor up to un hook flush hose and went to trim motor down and switch on motor and switch in control handle are dead, both ways up n down. I checked to see if motor would start and it would. Now i am lost. Dose anyone have ideas what it might be or how to check things out. If i can not find out anything i will take it to the marina that replace it.

Admiral

Re: troubles again with trim tilt motor

What model and year outboard do you have?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

2014, E135DHXAA
Captain

2014.. E135DHXAA
Admiral

If both trim switches, control box and on motor pan, are inoperative, the problem could be a faulty wiring connection, trim relay assembly, or in rare cases, the trim motor itself.  If the motor is still under warranty coverage take it to your dealer.

If you troubleshoot it yourself, use the factory service manual for reference and its illustrations and wiring diagrams to trace the electrical circuit to find out what is not receiving the proper voltage.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Well it just goes to show you trying to be CHEAP [ save money] does not always work. That trim tilt motor i bought went just after the third day of use. Bought it from this clown on EBAY [ Percision Diesel and Auto Supplies INC. ] better known on EBAY as [ 78rocco ]. I recomend no one buy from them. Yes i am getting my money back but in talking with them they became total A****. At the time i knew it was fruitless but i told them they should pay for the labor to install a new trim tilt motor, because if the product they sold and miss represented would have been good we would not be having this conversation and they basicly said,,,,  sorry about your bad luck.

Admiral

Genuine Evinrude parts come with a one years parts and labor warranty.  To avoid any questionable

DIY repair procedures if there is a possible installation issue, it is best to have important and/or expensive components replaced by an authorized dealer.

Captain

SORRY I do go along with you on this. Taking my motor [ which was out of warranty ] to a authorized dealer would have cost me just as much if not more and they would not have done anything different. I had my bout with Evinrude on this and that was their answer too, you should have brought it to us. There are a lot of business out there that [ yes not a authorized dealer ] that do the same work and are just a CAPEABLE, and that is where i took it. With out going into it there was a lot wrong, that really was Evinrudes fault, but i guess that is the way it is.