Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

vibration knock your watch off

I have a 60e-tec DTLAAA tiller on a 1754 Polar Kraft both brand new first time in water near North Bay. Went trolling for lake trout yesterday and the motor tiller handle shakes so much it almost knocked the numbers off my wrist watch. This is worse than the the old two strokes. I called the dealer and he said he could turn up the idle to make it better,as I did it with the throttle you have to increase rpm by 300 on my mini tach,trolls at 2mph now at it's slowest. Any ideas before the rivests start to vibrate also.  The motor vibrates idling bad in gear or out  so it is not the stainless prop. NOT Happy

Admiral

Re: vibration knock your watch off

your engine is a 2 cylinder and will have an inherent shake to it at idle, just like any other make of engine of the same design. Evinrude uses soft rubber mounts to keep the vibration from being transmitted to the boat and  you will see the motor moving slightly.

Have your dealer double check the rigging and engine mounting and go for a ride with you. The idle can be adjusted by the dealer to minimize the shaking.

For trolling it is best to have a propeller that allows the engine to turn up around 5800-6000 rpm  for best results.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks for the reply Bill but I do not understand your comment of a prop that will have a motor rpm of 5800-6000 for trolling.did you mean 580-600? I had a 75hp e-tec 3 cylinder ran perfect no vibration. I bought this 60hp on evinrudes good history, but right now unless there is remedy ,this vibrating is so bad your tackle box and paddles rattle and roll. Bill it is not a joy trolling with everything vibrating all the time. Hopfully there is a cure or I am going to trade it after only 4 hours, big loss for me, buyers be ware. Thanks

Captain

[ Edited ]

Bill is correct with his statement of 5800 to 6000 rpm.

5800 to 6000 rpm is the upper end of the recommended WOT rpm range for your engine.

Normally to get to that rpm, a lower pitched propeller is installed. The combination of raising the idle rpm and instaling the lower pitch prop will usually get the boat to the desired trolling speed and get the engine running at an rpm that is doesn't vibrate so much.

Hope this helps,

-John

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Captain

John as I said before when you start this motor in Nuetural everything vibrates not in gear not moving worse when you put it in gear. took stainless prop off put factory dealer supplied prop on same vibrations. Thanks for reply,  not the prop poor 2 cylinder design by BRP. Looking for a more vibration resistant watch. Thanks

Highlighted
Skipper

I just bought a brand new polar kraft 179SC (single console) nor easter with a 90hp E-Tec and it runs excellent!  best running motor i ever owned i'm very happy with it but its a 3 cylinder though? I'm impressed how good it runs! it runs so smooth at idle you can't even hear it run!..haha but yeh i would be contacting the dealer you bought it from and have them fix it under warranty!

Captain

I had a 75 hp 3 cylinder same thing ran mint, so I figured the BRP 60 hp would be the same, what a disappointment as I went from a HONDA 40hp-4 stroke ran perfect but with no oil changes and less service intervals bought the E-TEC. I am still at the cottage and have used 1 tank of fuel with no change. Dealer said onboard computer will reset after 10 hours of break-in so we will see. P>S> I now took my watch off.

cjm
Captain

I"m running a 75 HP etec, tiller steer.  No noticeable vibration at idle or wot.  Got to be something wrong.

Captain

I had a 75 hp five years ago three cylinder best starting and running motor I ever had so a bought the 60hp. I have found out now because they are a two cylinder they vibrate more. At WOT and everything in between it runs great ,only vibrates at idle in gear or not and trolling other wise great motor. Not knocking BRP they are a great motor maybe mine just has a problem.
Admiral

fushia,

You have still not told us what your top rpm is at WOT with a normal load of gas and people aboard.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.