Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

water in fuel emm alarm at 45 hours

Here is a great one !  Bought a 2006 etec 250 model # e250dpxsd serial # 05126713 in 2012.  The engine was from dusky marine in south florida, they had mounted it on a boat as a static boat show display - never even hooked up the fuel or oil lines - engine was pulled off of boat and put in original crate and was in the warehouse until I purchased it. They had the EMM report showing 0 revolutions. Finally finished the boat restoration late 2013. Had local E-Tec dealer - Blue Water Boats deal with rigging and the initial startup ( they called to ask how I had a 2006 with 0 hours ).  Was in the keys in June with about 45 hourson the engine running back in and the water in fuel alarm went off, eased back to the marina and ran all over the middle keys to find the under cowl fuel filter and replaced the 10 micron Racor filter in the boat too.  When I changed the neither on of them had any water in them. Called Blue Water Boats and he advised to make sure the two wires in the filter were not bent, kinked or touching, they were not. The boat starts up and after about 2 minutes the water in fuel alarm turns on, no other alarms and never goes into safe mode. The dealer has told me that the 5 volt circuit that the fuel sensor uses is the issue in the EMM. For some reason Dusky Marine had registered the motor and it is well out of warranty even though it sat in a shipping crate for 6 years.  I had an Etec on my previous boat and am looking at an Etec 300 for a boat I just purchased, It just stings a bit to have a failure after 45 hours and now to spend $1500 on repair to sell this boat. If not for the fact that I am selling the boat I would probably just let it ride and learn to ignore the check engine light on the I-com guage.

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: water in fuel emm alarm at 45 hours

when it was started the first time it had a new water pump, lower unit oil change and all updates installed

Highlighted
Admiral

How was the motor sold to you - did the bill of sale specify used or brand new?

Factory records show it was sold to a Mr. Rxxxx  Bxxxx in March of 2006 and the factory warranty expired in 2009.  There was an FPC service agreement after that date. The motor was from a multi-engine boat.

Besides from a faulty EMM the false alarms could also be caused by a short in the wiring harness if the probes are not touching. A continuity test between the appropriate pins of the EMM connector would confirm a direct short.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

it was put on a display hull as twins, when the boat sold the purchaser wanted different power and they were pulled off.  The guy listed as sold to was on a payment plan to buy the motors from them and the recession hit before they were ever rigged, and they were lost in the warehouse for a few years.  The extended warranty was transfered to me on 10-5-12 and it sat in my warehouse while I bought anew house and eventually finished the hull. I understand the time on the warranty but it was still a zero hour engine when it was rigged at the begining of this year.  It should show the date of it where the dealer did the updates and service on it in the BRP system.

Thanks

Brett

Highlighted
Admiral

Perhaps a conversation with the selling dealer could result in their partial participation in the cost of  needed repairs.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

+1 to what Bill said and there is no way the BRP "system" keeps a record of any services done or not done to an outboard.