Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

what size stainless prop to go with

I have a 2014 alumacraft competitor 185 tiller powered by a 2014 evinrude etec 90 H.O. I love everything about the rig but am looking to get a little more top end speed without sacroficeing my hole shot. Im looking to upgrade from my stock alum. prop to a stainless viper prop. My question is what pitch to go with. My current alum prop is a 15.5x13 and has 763458 stamped in it. At wot i am running about 34-35 mph at 5800-5900 rpm. thanks for your help

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: what size stainless prop to go with

[ Edited ]

You are over-revving your motor. The redline for a new 90hp is 5500 rpm with a optimum rpm range of 5000 to 5200 rpm at full throttle with a normal load aboard.

A 16" or 17"  Viper would be a good place to start. Propping is trial and error most of the time. It is possible that you would also pick up a few mph, too.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thank you for your help. According to my book the new 90 high output redlines at 6000 rpm

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

OOPS !!!  I missed the part about it being the HO model. You are correct about the redline rpm. 

You may want to first try the 763910  14" Viper plus possibly raise your motor one hole at a time to pick up some speed. A stainless steel prop will perform better than an aluminum one and will run at a higher motor height. Shoot for 5800-6000 rpm for best results with a new prop.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.