Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

xd-50 or xd-100

which oil is best to use on a 75hp etec? my outboard is set to wk with xd-50 from the dealer.

Admiral

Re: xd-50 or xd-100

The very best you can do for your motor is to use the XD-100 at the regular TC-W3 oil setting.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Will it void the warranty if I do that?
Admiral

Not at all. In fact using the XD-100 oil at the standard setting is what the factory recommends for heavy duty, high-performance, and commercial use.

Your 75 uses so little oil at either setting, you will probably never notice a difference, yet your motor will have extra corrosion protection internally which is very helpful in salt water areas, and will have extra protection of a premium oil.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

10-4, thanks for your info.  will start using xd-100.  just got the motor a few weeks ago.

Mate

Hi. 

What is the TC-W3 setting?  My dealer recommended the xd-100 oil but also told me he needed to program the settings if I was going to use this oil extensively.  That it would use less oil if I was going to solely use the xd-100.  I only use the xd-100 and am amazed at how little oil it uses.  I have a 2011 225hp.  Is this the best setting?  I'd rather burn a little more oil if it will help the engine last longer.

Thanks!!

Highlighted
Admiral

The setting from the factory is for TC-W3.

The XD-100 setting is only for normal recreational use. The factory says for high-performance (such as bass boats or sport boats), heavy duty usage, or commercial usage the motor should stay at the TC-W3 setting.

On the newer HO high performance motors there is no reduced oil setting available due to the high performance use that those motors are designed for.

There is some oil savings if you do go to the XD-100 setting but the very best thing you can do for your motor is to use the XD-100 at the TC-W3 programming.