Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

115 pontoon outboard for a V hull

Bluewaterbill,

I like the e-tec motors but really would like the icon controls.  In reviewing the specs/brochure I noticed that the 115HP has Mech. / ICON EST Digital (Acc’y) Mech. or ICON EST Digital on the sheet.  Is this a misprint or can I use Icon controls with this motor.  I also would want the 2.44 lower end so if this motor is fine for a V boat it seems like it would be a good alternative for me.  Thanks in Advance.  Mike

Admiral

Re: 115 pontoon outboard for a V hull

[ Edited ]

Where did you find the info? If it shows EST controls, it is likely a misprint.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

On the Evinrude site in the specification table for pontoon motors in the Evinrude Catalog

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/en-US/2015_Evinrude_Catalog.pdf#zoom=100

Mike

Admiral

[ Edited ]

That is a misprint.

Only late model V6 engines come with or can be fitted with EST digital controls.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Ok  that is what I figured...  Unfortunately.   That would really be a great feature.

On my other question,  the two touted features of the engine are important to me

In how I boat.  Quiet at low speed and an improved hole shot.  Any reason the 115 pontoon 

Is not an option for me on my v hull.  

I also like the 244 gearing and not sure I want the exhaust complexity of the 115ho

To get up to the 244 lower end

Thank

Mike

Admiral

Evinrude does not recommend the Pontoon motor series to be  mounted on regular boats due to possible handling issues from the softer engine mounts.  The lower gear ratio does not help with all around performance in a faster boat.

What type, make, size, weight boat do you have and what did you have on it before and how did it perform?

The E-TEC is a very quiet engine, nothing like older motors.  Some magazine comparison tests found E-TECs to be quieter than popular 4-strokes at various speeds.

Skipper

Henry O 170 - 17' dual console - fully foamed hull.  1300# empty weight.  Had a 115 suzuki on it which did a good job of getting the boat on plane and crusing around.  only issue I had was cavitation on sharp turns (maybe engine setup?).  I use the boat mostly for water sports and just cruisging around the rivers and bay areas.  My boat is definitely not a fast boat.  It likes to stay wet.  I like the boat and just decided with the re-power to ask all the questions I can before deciding on what engine to put on the back of the boat.

Mike

Admiral

An Evinrude E-TEC 115 HP will outperform a Suzuki 115, especially if it was a 4-stroke model. If you had a 2-stroke Suzuki, then the E-TEC will be quieter, smoother running, and  use about half the fuel of the older motor.