Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

1996 Johnson 112hp cold start issues

I have a 1996 Johnson 112hp on a 1982 17' Mako. Im having a hard time with cold starts. It wont start until I crank on it for a while and use the gear bypass( fast idle). I checked the service manual to trouble shoot the fuel priming valve. It has good voltage and is not leaking. The manual says to start the engine and idle up to 2000rpm and ingage the choke switch and the RPM should drop and it did. I use the boat almost every weekend and use MARINE fuel only. What else can be giving me a hard cold start? After it starts once it runs great. Thanks

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 1996 Johnson 112hp cold start issues

Hard starting cold with an engine like yours can be improved by trying the following procedure.

This is assuming that the engine health and state of tune are in good shape. Has compression, ignition output, and sparkplug conditon - gapped to 0.030" - been determined?

Trim the motor to vertical and hold the primer bulb with the arrow facing up, squeezing until it is rock hard. Advance the throttle slightly in neutral. Turn the key to ON and push in on the "choke" for a count of 5. Continue pushing in while you turn the key to START. The motor should fire up within10 seconds if everything is normal, depending on temperature. In cool weather you may have to "tickle" the "choke" a couple of times and adjust the fast ilde speed until the motor is fully warmed up.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

The cylinder pressure is 120-125 on all 4 and the spark plug is .030. I did notice the spark plug is 1 number higher on the heat range compared to factory spec. I tried the starting technique you told me and i had to repeat it about four times but it did seem to start a lot easier. Thanks for the tips!!!

Highlighted
Admiral

The QL82C is an approved plug also and works better in most applications.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.