Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

200 E-tec Mounting

New guy here! I came from the world of I/O's and never had to adjust the height of the motor. The boat is 2014 Bennington 24SSLX with the SPS package. When I got the boat, the motor was mounted all the way down. My wife doesn't drive the boat and i haven't been able to watch the motor while underway. The boat will 40.3 with 5 adults, full tank and gear, just about 5500RPM. I raised the motor one hole and noticed NO difference in the boat period! Should I keep bumping up till I see any difference good or bad? I haven't been able to find any pics to get a decent comparison. Any suggestions would be helpful!!

Thanks!

Admiral

Re: 200 E-tec Mounting

Keep moving the engine higher until you notice a loss of handling, prop ventilation, or overheating. Then drop back down 1 hole.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you Bluewater Bill! I have tried the third hole and still not much of any change, I have one more to go, I'll be getting the boat back over the the fourth of July weekend, guess I'll try the last hole and go from there. I can pick up small changes, hard turns faster ventilation, but the handling is the same, no tempurature lights or anything. I might just be destined for a 40mph boat!

Again, Thanks for the advice!

Scott 

Skipper

One last quick questions! I'm running a viper 14-3/4" /16 pitch, 5600 rpm w/one person gear/ full fuel.  Would switching to a rebel style prop be a better way to go? The dealer had stated this is the prop bennington had listed for the boat, but that's usually on the safer side, best "all around" prop.

Thanks!

Admiral

[ Edited ]

A Rebel prop turns about 400 rpm less than the same size Viper prop due to its larger blade area and design so a 15" Rebel would be less rpm than you have now.

For a pontoon boat, you want to be propped near the top of the rpm range, just under the redline, to allow for adding 10-12 people aboard and their gear yet not lug or overload the motor.

A 15" Viper may be a better all around prop for you for almost all occasions as it should pick up about 200 rpm. The 16" could be your spare and the one you want to use to show off top speed with a light load.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you for all of the input!! I'll be back on the water over the fourth of July. I have one more hole to go up, maybe I'll just try that to see if I get any major changes. I'm thinking that I may also not be trimming up high enough, so I'll do some additional testing, just starting to wonder if I should have went to the HO motor, not so much the price, but the weight the dealer was concerned about. Again thanks for the help!

Scott

Skipper

We'll had the boat all summer now and have tried every mounting position and no noticeable difference what so ever.! My speed and handling stayed within .5-1mph each time and no rpm change. Only thing I notice last weekend was a kink in the fuel line. Not enough to shut me down, but it seem pretty tight, I would assume somewhat of a possible difference, maybe not. Still have my sights on swapping out to an ho, just not sure if it's worth to go all the way to the G2? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Admiral

If you want to trade up to the new G2 motor, get a higher hp version so you can go faster and carry a heavier load.

Skipper

Alright, been thru the pricing of an upgrade to an HO motor and I'm not willing to spend that amount, I'd just as soon upgrade to a new boat! I was watching my RPMs on my last trip and even with only one person i only get 5500-5600 rpm. I looked for 15 pitch viper which if i'm correct would bring up my RPM approx. 250, closer to the 5850 I should be running. But I've been wrong before!! The only issue is i didn't find a 15 pitch viper on the Evinrude prop sheet. I know you stated before that moving to a 15 pitch rebel would lower my rpm from the 16 pitch viper, but I'm pretty open to suggestions to stick with a BRP prop and get closer to the high end of the RPM range. Any advice besides a new boat would be great, plus save me from a divorce!

Thanks Again

Scott