Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2014 40hp etec. Excessive cold start crank

[ Edited ]

2014 40hp etec excessive crank - spits sputters runs rough then smooths out runs and starts fine rest of the day 

started a week ago use etec fuel treatment 

never in the past have I pumped the fuel ball .. maybe😀

please help with ideas 

Admiral

Re: 2014 40hp etec. Excessive cold start crank

[ Edited ]

Pump up the primer ball holding the arrow pointing up and squeezing it until rock hard.  If it does not firm up you will have to find the leakage or replace the primer ball, whatever is needed. Do not use off-brand or after-market primer balls.

If squeezing the ball does not improve starting and initial running, then it may need the attention of a trained technician to determine if there is a fuel or an electrical abnormality.

When was the required 3 year dealer service completed and did they check for all applicable service bulletins and any software updates as well as replace the muffler filter?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks
3 years service completed less the muffler filter
I just ordered the water filter and engine fuel filter to replace.
I have never pumped the ball, that was my very first question to the dealer and they said not needed it fuels its self.

Interesting fact tho I had to lengthen the fuel line to the filter in the boat because from the factory the line appeared to be cut short and I noticed a crack
Replace with same diameter hose..
Admiral

Did you splice the line or run a whole section of new hose?  Make sure it is 3/8" hose on 3/8" fittings. Problems like yours can arise of it is 3/8" hose and someone installed 5/16" fittings which often cause air leaks and poor fuel flow to the motor.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

I just cut the line and put a elbow in 

the muffler filter ...  where to buy 

I’m replacing water filter fuel filter this weekend 

Admiral

3/8" line and 3/8" elbow nipple on the fitting?

Parts are available through all authorized Evinrude dealers.

Skipper

Yes

Thanks - we’ll try it
How can I see if there are programming updates
Admiral

@jwachevy wrote:
Yes

Thanks - we’ll try it
How can I see if there are programming updates

That has to be done by your dealer as he first has to obtain the existing software version and compare it with any updated software, then has to download the newer version and install it into your engine's EMM.