Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2014 ETec Lower Unit appears to have water mix

Hello, just start doing some maintenance before I stored my 2014 Southbay with a 40 Hp E tec
Removed lower unit plug and I got a nice surprise.
Appears to be mixed with water. Should I take it in for a lower reseal ?? Of course I have to get it fixed just would like some idea of what I’m looking at cost ? Or has anyone else experience this with a newer engine??
Really too me off guard. I’ve had oil changed every year
Admiral

Re: 2014 ETec Lower Unit appears to have water mix

Remove the prop and look for fishing line wrapped around the propshaft and possibly in the seal allowing water to leak in. If you run in mud or sand, often the seals around the driveshaft will wear quickly, requiring replacement.

It is best to have a dealer check out your engine and pressure and vacuum test the seals and replace as needed.

If you elect to repair this yourself, then purchase a factory service manual through your dealer and study it to learn the procedures and to obtain the special tools that may be needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Bwb

Took prop off and no fishing line . I have the B.E.S.T warranty. It’s not clear if it’s covered? Dealer wants $390 to reseal entire unit. It’s a 2014 40 hp Etek with 130 hours. Of course I think it should be warranted.

Comments are appreciated
Admiral

Normally a leaking gearcase repair is a warranty situation as long as fishing line or impact damage is not apparent.   A trained technician has to inspect your gearcase, determine the point of leakage, and determine if it is a covered repair.  You are free to contact Evinrude with your serial number, dealer name, and your personal information at  http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.