Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

90 E-Tec low oil alarm after dealer gave okay

We just bought a 2013 pontoon with a 2013 90 HP E-Tec.  The previous owner lives in another state and said that the low oil alarm had sounded earlier this year so before selling it, he wanted to get it taken care of.  The authorized service technician stated that he "could not get to fail.  Found the plug for oil pump part way unplugged.  Oil primed okay".  

The previous owner picked it up from the marina yesterday and met me to have the bill of sale notarized.  I brought it home and put it in the water this morning.  My wife moved it from the ramp to the slip at no wake without an issue.  We later took family out and after about 15 minutes, the low oil alarm sounded.  I removed the cowling and the oil was full.  The motor has less than 90 hours on it, and every time I started it today, the alarm sounded and the light stayed on.  The previous owner said he thought the warranty runs out this month.

The lake we are on is 90% no-wake, and I did not take it in the speed zone with the issue.  I'm not sure what taking it to the dealer will do since they couldn't find the issue. 

One, if I confirm there is oil in the reservour, will any damage be done?  And two, any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks - LJ

Admiral

Re: 90 E-Tec low oil alarm after dealer gave okay

From your description of the situation, it appears that the LOW OIL sensor float is either sticking or has some other abnormality and giving a false alarm.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the post.  I'm going to call a local authorized dealer this morning as I think that's who can transfer what's left of the warrenty.  Anything I can do to remedy without pulling the boat?

Admiral

Be sure the bill of sale has the serial number on it when you show it to the dealer for the transfer of ownership registration.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Highly unlikely but just a thought. There was a remote oil tank kit that came out in 2015? Primary for pontoon applications, the engine oil tank would have a sticker on it indicating fill level about 2" down from the top of the tank.
Mate

Thanks for the reply.  I don't have the remote oil tank but I'll look more closely for the sticker today.  I was up to the boat yesterday and right after the system runs through the prestart check, the low oil light comes on.  When I start the motor, the alarm sounds for 10 seconds.  After reading as much as I could find on the issue, I did the winterization process thinking maybe there was an air bubble.  After, still had the same result with the light and the alarm.

While I'm up today, I'll check the wire connections and look for the sticker.  Absent any miraculas discoveries, I need to take the boat to the dealer where it will sit for 2 weeks until they can get to it.

Admiral

You may want to try to have a factual non-emotional discussion with the dealer management. On a new engine, most reputable dealers will bend  over backward to get their customer going again soon.

Mate

No decal or tag referencing an external tank. 

On the positive side, I took the boat out today and was able to take the boat at full throttle for the first time and the low oil light went out.  We were pushing to beat the rain.  Will try to get out on it a few more times to see what happens over the next few days.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Highlighted
Captain

There is a low oil light and a no oil light.
The no oil light is is triggered by the oil pressure sensor and the winterization procedure could help that to clear air bubbles.
Yours is the low oil light which is only an oil tank level indication triggered by the float in the oil tank. As long as there is oil in the tank it is ok to run the engine with the low oil light on. It could be caused by a problem with the tach, wiring, or the tank float. Check that the plug on the back of your tach is snapped in place. The buzzer can be unplugged to eliminate the noise. If your engine sees an overheat or no oil condition it will protect itself by going into a low rpm s.a.f.e. mode.
I have a pontoon series 90hp on my boat and check the oil level every time I use it. Never really tracked it but seems like I top off the oil about every 60 gallons of gas.
Mate

I wanted to give an update.  After putting up with the low oil alarm and geting in the habbit of checking the oil, about 6 weeks ago, the No Oil alarm went off and the motor went into safe mode.  We pulled the boat the next day and took it to an Evinrude dealer.  The worst part is the dealer was out three weeks where we were without the boat.  I explained the history of the previous owner trying to get this fixed to multiple people at the dealer.

When they got to our boat, they purged the oil system, checked it in the shop and even took it to the lake and ran it for an hour and no alarms went off.  We picked up the boat two weeks ago and the day we put it in the water the low oil alarm went off.  I emailed the dealer that night and contacted them the next day.  They had already reached out to BRP and received approval to replace the oil pump.

We continued to use the boat for 2 weeks while we waited for the pump to come in.  The low oil light came on intermitently and would stay on for a couple of uses then go out for a couple of uses.  Took the boat in this week and the dealer was able to replace the pump and get it back to me same day.  Put it in the water last night and although all we did was move it to the dock, no alarm.  Portage Lakes Marine in NE Ohio was really great to work with given that this was my first experience with them and they didn't sell me the boat.  Hopefully this will be my last update on this!