Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Brand New Pontoon takin delivery APR 2019

Bluewater, and others:

I bought a brand new 2019 Misty Harbor 2285 CU pontoon with a Evinrude 150 pontoon motor (2 logs).  I take delivery in APR 2019.  This is not my first boat, but my first brand new boat.  I have been reading all over this website about props, oil consumption, etc.  My questions are;

Is the pontoon series a e-Tec?  No break in if e-Tec.  I'll be running 100 oil.

I paid extra for a SS prop, but don't know what the pitch will be.  I saw all your posts--near or at 6000 rpm with no load is good, 5500 rpm with a load.  I'll take note of that when I get this beauty in the water!

Oil consumption will be heavy in the first few hours.  I also read the 2019 can run 87 octane--please verify.

Snake skin should be covering all wiring.  Should have a fuel filter.

What else?  The dealer is 100 miles from my lake house and I'm not going to run it back and forth if something is awry, so what should I be asking upon delivery?  Do dealers normally run the boat in the water before delivery?  There is a Evinrude dealer very close to me and that dealer will be doing any work, but I want to know what I don't know!  Help and thanks!

Captain

Re: Brand New Pontoon takin delivery APR 2019

I’ll start by saying that I looked at this website for a year before I made a decision. To tell you the truth I told myself no way would I by one of these with all the negative post.  When I took out the emotions out of the discussion,   A few thoughts that seemed logical. Every time I researched a potential product for purchased there was always horror stories of said product. High quality stuff. Sony TVs Chevy trucks ford trucks etc. that’s crazy. I read if I got a gm truck it would never work. Lol. You get the idea. I have had it 10 yrs. now with no issues. Sony tv with acceptable life etc.

so after doing research on the only brand that a smart consumer would buy . I was blown away at the maintenance cost per year and the frequency. 20 hr check up 6 , 7 , 8 , hundred dollars WHAT!! Are you kidding me. To do what. It didn’t sound so good to me. 

So I started talking to a couple Evinrude dealers and it was sounding better and better. They were offering a 10 year warranty. Well to me that’s  a nice piece of mind..  I found websites that speak very highly of their etecs on there repowered Boston whalers. All positive about their motors. Which gave me comfort dishing out 15 k for a new 135 hp this year.

i am still very excited about my motor and blown away how nice it is. It did drink a lot of oil at first. Then it settled down.  I use Xd100  synthetic.oil. I used 3 gal since April. Not sure how many hrs. 40? Idk.

Take care of the fuel you use. Watch filters and fuel stabilizers to keep it running well and I’m sure you will be a happy Evinrude owner.  Congrats on the new boat.

Admiral

@Realfun1 wrote:

I’ll start by saying that I looked at this website for a year before I made a decision. To tell you the truth I told myself no way would I by one of these with all the negative post.  When I took out the emotions out of the discussion,   A few thoughts that seemed logical. Every time I researched a potential product for purchased there was always horror stories of said product.

Realfun is correct and we thank him for posting a logical response.  Here is an excerpt from a post from years ago that I ran across that basically says the same thing. It is human nature to complain and to look for an audience, an excuse, or a scapegoat. When things are going well, we tend to enjoy them and only offer support and praise when asked by someone.

Years ago I wanted to upgrade my stereo system to surround sound to enjoy movies at home with better and more exciting sound. Online searching for Pioneer product websites showed all kinds of people complaining about their own problems with  their purchase of that brand. Over in the Sony sites, the same thing, only people bitching about something made by Sony. JVC, Onkyo, Marantz, Denon - every public website dedicated to the respective brands was full of people complaining or commenting on a problem or situation with that brand of product. It made you think that every brand of AV receiver either overheated, died after running a while, was delivered missing certain parts, was lost in the mail, cut in and out, or was difficult to operate.
It's just like visiting a Chevy dealership, the service department is full of newer and late model Chevys that need fixing. Over at the Ford dealership, their service bays all have Fords being worked on, same at the Chrysler-Jeep establishment. Every dealer was full of cars that had to have something done to them.

Put everything into perspective and don't listen to those who complain or shout the loudest. They are in the minority compared to the thousands or millions of satisfied customers of various products. As the politicals used to say -  The Silent Majority - they are out there and they are enjoying themselves.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Even before I discovered the 10--year warranty, I was sold on Evinrude.  I traded a e-Tec175 on my bow rider for the new pontoon.  It was a great motor for many years, and whoever buys that used is not going to have any issues for a long time.

Nine of ten motors on my Central Wisconsin lake are Mercury, a couple Yamaha, and sprinkle of Honda's, but purchasing Evinrude was a no-brainer for me.

So, no advice on what to watch out for upon delivery?

Captain

Yes they run on regular gas. No break in period. I personally took it easy for a few hrs. It’s always a good idea to let the rings seat properly..  external fuel/water filter!!! That’s all I have.

Admiral

@WiscPontoonGuy wrote:

So, no advice on what to watch out for upon delivery?

Insist on a water test with a tech to go over all the rigging and setup, plus to familiarize yourself with the motor and to find out if there are any issues that should be taken care of before delivery.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

You need to verify with your dealer that your engine will have the 10 year warranty. The 10 year warranty promotion expires the end of March and depending on how paperwork is done an April delivery date could affect that.
Install a fuel/water separator filter, use Evinrude fuel conditioner in every tank and check lower unit oil at the end of each season.
Captain

Some additional information.
Evinrude make 150 hp engines in both the G1 (commonly referred to as Etecs) and the G2 series. The pontoon series engine would be a G1 series.
Skipper

Thanks for the additional info.  Salesman and General Manager said they would coordinate the order of the motor to get the 10-year warranty.  It's a G1, so that appears to be the same as an e-Tec.  I love the ease of fogging the e-Tec.  I was unfamiliar with the water/fuel filter.  Thanks again for that info.

Skipper

Was at the Chicago Boat Show last Sunday.  Mercury has a 400 HP outboard 4-stroke.  That thing is huge.

Question for Capt Rick:  If I put fuel stabilizer in every tank while running the Evinrude e-Tek 150 HP I don't see the advantage of burning 87 Octane.  Is this what Evinrude recommends?