Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: Brand New Pontoon takin delivery APR 2019

All Evinrude E-TEC engines are designed for 87 octane fuel.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Fuel stabilizer does not change the octane of the fuel, it only shows the degrading and octane loss of fuel over time. Our experience with the current fuel available is that it has a short storage life. Non-ethanol fuel seems to have a longer storage life. No lab test proven facts but I've been told that the name brand fuels have more and/or better addatives than the generic fuels. The recommended product would be Evinrude fuel treatment as it has stabilizer, cleaner, and decarbons additives.
In our shop we have seen bad results from Seafoam, possibly due to putting too much in, it helps to combine with any moisture in the fuel but it can also "suck in" moisture from the air which creates problems.
In my opinion, good quality, fresh, treated fuel is worth the slight added cost to protect any modern fuel injected engine. I estimate that 30 percent of the engines that we get in for repair are due to fuel problems from old or wet fuel. Enjoy your new boat, run it often with good fuel and you won't have problems. My personal boat burns 3/4 of a tank of fuel per month year round and I haven't had any fuel problems in 2500 hours on my Etecs.
Skipper

I didn't know all e-tecs were running 87 octane, I thought it was just the newer ones.  In understanding the response about aged or watery fuel, considering winter storage, wouldn't it be best that the tank be empty?  Otherwise in April the fuel would be 6-monts old if I stored the boat with a full tank--which I've always done.  I was advised to store with full tank to prevent condensation in the tank.

Captain

A full tank helps prevent condensation. Fuel with the correct amount of stabilizer should be good for 6 months. That is my understanding but being on the southern US coast, I have no experience with storing boats for 6 months.