Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

E-Tec 150 question

I have a brand new 2018 Evinrude e-tec 150 HO. The engione occasionally sputters, almost seems to go into neutral, at around 4500 - 5000 RPMs. 

Lately, it also hesitiates when accelerating quickly. 

Any thoughts? Could it be the gas? I buy it at my marina and never have had issues in the past.

Admiral

Re: E-Tec 150 question

That type of symptom is not normal. It could possibly be a fuel delivery problem and would need your dealer to check out the engine operation and possibly the boat's fuel system should that be found to be the culprit.

Did the dealer water test your boat before delivery to you?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

The river was no-wake when we had our preview, so we could not test it out at high RPM's. I'm just worried that if I briong it in to them I may miss the rest of the boating season!

Captain

Some of those symptoms sound like prop hub slipping at high RPM? TBX hub prop nuts need to be torqued to around 70 ft lbs (I'd have to check specs on that).
Other symptoms indicate it may need the dealer to do a throttle lever calibration. On a new engine your dealer may get you in quickly as the throttle calibration is a simple procedure.
Admiral

Talk to your dealer management or the service manager before hand as good dealers take care of new boat customers right away. See if you can get the tech to ride with you while he has at least a laptop and fuel pressure gauge  to monitor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.