Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Ficht 115 surging after switching fuel tanks

I have a 1984 24' Harris pontoon which I previously powered with a 100 hp 1979 Evinrude.  In this setup fuel was provided by a 12 gallon tank and a 6 gallon tank.  The tanks went to a valve then a water seperating fuel filter.  For many years I had a universal fuel pump after the filter to push the gas to the engine.  The pump failed and I didn't notice any performance difference with it so I never replaced it. 

Last year my old reliable 100hp finally died.  I replaced it with a 2000 Evinrude 115HP Ficht.   The motor seems to run well, but ocassionally it looses RPM, then when the throttle is returned to idle, the engine will surge, going from almost stalling to maybe 1500 RPM.  This seems to happen only when I run one tank dry and switch to the other, or if I don't squeze the primer bulb before starting out.  After a few minutes at a moderate speed it clears out and runs normal again.  I am thinking this is due to the engine sucking air.

Finally my question:  Shoiuld I put a universal fuel pump in again?  Change the fuel tanks out to one larger one?  or I have a different problem and need to look at something else?

Thanks!   

Captain

Re: Ficht 115 surging after switching fuel tanks

I'm only asking this so I can compare notes about water separaters. I was told that you need to fill water separater filters with fuel prior to installing or you can get air block. On my Merc I didn't and I did have a issue. I have a Evinrude now and I did fill the filter before installing.
Admiral

Don629,

You should never allow any type of low-emission outboard to run out of fuel. The electric fuel pump depends on liquid gasoline to cool and lubricate the metal pump rotor and the motor brushes. The injectors use the liquid gasoline to hydraulically cushion  the impact of the internal precision machined steel parts.  The fuel rail needs to flow bubble-free gasoline through the system and to each injector. As soon as air gets into the system your engine runs lean and the combustion temperatures skyrocket, which may result it damaged pistons over time.

Monitor your fuel usage and switch tanks before running dry. Installing larger tank(s) may help your situation.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@JerseyMike wrote:
I'm only asking this so I can compare notes about water separaters. I was told that you need to fill water separater filters with fuel prior to installing or you can get air block. On my Merc I didn't and I did have a issue. I have a Evinrude now and I did fill the filter before installing.

Fill your filter canister for best results.

To minimize confusion and too keep threads relevant, please start a new thread when asking about something that is not part of the original question asked in the first post. Thanks.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I never had problems with the water separator with the old engine.  I put a new one one every spring and used the primer bulb to pump it up. 

Skipper

On my last trip out I made it a point to switch tanks before I was empty on the first.  I still had the problem.  I suspect there is enough air in the line when I switch that I still get a bubble into the engine. 

Is there a way to add a second (12 gallon) tank without a valve that would stay primed?

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Put a primer ball on each fuel tank hose before the selector switch and pump it  as soon as you move the lever to change tanks.

If you could change to a single larger tank, that would simplify things for you.