Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate
Accepted Solution

Identify my motor

Help!  I recently bought a motor but don't think it is what I was told it was.  I cannot find a model number anywhere.  The only number I found is on a freeze plug looking thing and it is:  J0004902100999S          Can anyone help me?  It is supposed to be a 1986 Evinrude 115hp.  It has the engine cover that matches that but need the model to buy some parts..

Admiral

Re: Identify my motor

can you doble check and take a clear picture of the numbers? There are too many digits.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

The number in my text is correct.

Admiral

We need clear in-focus pictures of the motor cover decals plus top, both sides, and back of the powerhead and a side view of the whole engine to narrow down what you have.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

never mind but thanks for your helpfulness. I contacted BRP and found out what it is.  A 1979 Evinrude, 100hp

Admiral

A '79 100 hp was my suspicion but wanted to see the photos first to be sure. The V4 engines from 1978 on were pretty standard for routine service parts for many years. A knowledgeable parts person should be able to help out if there is any confusion.