Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: New E-tec 115 Pontoon Series

Thank you all for the comments and recommendations. I will try to make the changes ASAP. You know it was a little difficult to steer and the throw of the motor was not good. I would think that having the steering linkage in the correct hole would improve things.

Highlighted
Captain

And the inline filter goes between the tank and bulb or between the bulb and engine?

And for the pontoon would it be ok to mount it where the oil tank and battery or does it have to close to the gas tank?

Thanks

Highlighted
Captain

Last question ive been readin online about guys using the racor b32014 filter with clear sight glass on the bottom. 

It is a 10 micron filter, will this restrict the fuel flow too much when mounted to the evrinude 174176?

Thanks

Highlighted
Captain

Here is a couple pictures of my setup.  I am curious if I would be able to mount it over the oil reservoir tank or is that to high for the fuel to get too from the tank?

and i verified that my hose diameter is 3/8

Thanks

20150504_162335.jpg

20150504_162335.jpg

Highlighted
Admiral

On many pontoom boats, the filter can be mounted inside the fuel tank area as it is preferable to have the filter above the gas tank.

The Racor brand is good but it is expensive to replace plus it takes up a lot of room as the filter and bowl are very tall and you need room below it for removing the filter element. If you use the boat infrequently it could hold more water and the clear bowl is drainable. Your dealer can be of help with installing the smaller sized but efficient Evinrude filter kit #174176

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

bluewaterbill

i am trying to avoid an hour and half drive one way to a dealer to have them connect 2 new fuel lines that for me is very simple to connect 2 hoses i think.

im just trying to determine if there a max length it could be installed from the tank

on the pictures i was thinking of mounting in the area where the oil tank and battery is

its above the tank and approx 1 foot above and approx 3 ft back towards the front of the boat away from the tank

would this be ok or is there a max it can be installed from the tank.

also most people had the primer bulb after the filter but some had it before, whats your thoughts on that

i appreciate the help!
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

No problem with the distance. Be sure NOT to mount the filter or have a fuel fitting directly above a battery. Leave enough room below the unit to fit a strap wrench and to easily remove and install the filter itself. Be sure the filter is above the gas tank to avoid any chance of siphoning.

Many installations have the primer bulb before the filter to make priming the filter an easier and quicker job, others prefer on the output side. In a pontoon boat at a dock it is usually hard to get gasoline to fill the filter before installing it. Use oil on the filter o-rings and hand tighten firmly, no wrenches.

Do not use teflon tape on the pipe fittings, only a gasoline resistant sealer if any. Some techs install the fittings dry but tighten and loosen them several times to seat the threads as they are tapered.

Follow the directions that come with the filter kit.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Bluewaterbill,

Last question what is the best clamps to use to clamp on the fuel hoses?

The screw on stainless steel or the squeeze clamps.

Just seeing if the screw clamps would work?

Thanks

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

The Oetiker squeeze clamps are the best to use and are available from your dealer or some hardware and automotive stores. Screw type hose clamps are OK just do not cut into the hose when tightening.

This article may help you.

http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/installing-fuel-water-separator?src=soc&dom=fb

Highlighted
Captain

I installed the evinrude inline fuel filter. it was a breeze to install and took approx an hr.

hardest part was fishing the new lines.

ran approx 6 hrs with no leaks or fuel delivery issues.