Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Top Speed 250HO 2014

Re-powering 25ft Crest III Pontoon with 250HO: The boat weight is 3400lb and has been powered by a DI225 using a 17" Viper and runs in the upper 40's.  How much more power will it have and How Much Prop will it pull?  The boat is a triple toon with lifting strakes and is underskinded.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Top Speed 250HO 2014

What rpm did the DI engine turn with the 17" Viper at full throttle and a normal load of people and fuel?

If it was near the recommended 5800-6000, then the 250 HO may be able to turn a 19" prop in the correct rpm range. Keep in mind that finding the best propeller is a trial and error endeavor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I forgot to add that in.  With two aborad the engine was turning at 5800RPM.

Highlighted
Skipper

I can't help you out but I think you just helped me out with my new 2014 Bennington 2275 RL with ESP (performance options) and 2014 Evinrude ETEC 225 HO which currently has a Rebel 17" SS prop and achieving 45 mph gps at 5800 rpm.  It does the same with just me or with 3 people aboard. Boat weight is similar to yours and I'm thinking the 17" Viper would improve mph a fair amount.

Highlighted
Admiral

Sunnyside,

You may want to try a 19" Viper as that will probably turn in the same rpm range as your 17" Rebel. Your speed may increase a bit also.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

@BluewaterBill wrote:

Sunnyside,

You may want to try a 19" Viper as that will probably turn in the same rpm range as your 17" Rebel. Your speed may increase a bit also.

Bill, thanks for your input.  The dealer said he would work with me to obtain the optimum prop which will probably be next spring due to weather conditions here in central PA.  Input like this helps in deciding what props to test.   I noticed Evinrude Performance data for pontoon boats with larger engines shows quite a few Viper props.     

Highlighted
Admiral

If you are looking specifically for the best top speeds, the Viper propeller series works very well.  However if you plan on carrying many people aboard or waterskiing and tubing - The Rebel prop is more efficient and better suited to that application.

Finding the best all around prop requires trial and error. Some folks will have 2, one for speed and one for skiing or carrying heavy loads of passengers.

Highlighted
Skipper

Bill:

Just a BIG thanks to EVINRUDE (BRP), for the 250HO,as you were right. The 19 Viper pushed the Heavy Triple Toon to 50 MPH right oit of the box.  The weather was very cold yesterday, but the experience was HOT!  RPM 6100! The Hole Shot was Fantastic!!

I also want to thank BRP for allowing My wife and I to tour  the Evinrude Factory, and BRP employee Merlin Myers for the great experience.

Thanks Again!  Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Admiral

I'm glad that the prop worked out so well for you. It was the cold weather that made the extra rpm as on a hot summer afternoon your revs may be around 5800 depending on how many people are on board. On a pontoon boat you want to prop it near the top of the rpm range so it will not lug the motor when you add a number of people on board along with their gear and coolers filled with ice and beverages.