Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

What am I gaining with the pontoon series motor?

We are going to buy a new 20' southBay pontoon. I want a BRP motor which is fine with the dealer. But, they are pushing me towards a 65 hp pontoon series motor. I know why, but for our use, mostly just slow cruzing on a smaller River and connected lakes. So, would I be better off going to a slightly larger motor in the regular series. The pontoon series is heavier and I want the boat to sit level in the water. This goes back to a previous purchase with a 40 hp big foot which was to much weight on the rear, it also did not preform very well at all. Any advice to share? The boat is just over 2000 lbs without the motor.

Admiral

Re: What am I gaining with the pontoon series motor?

What is the max HP rating on the pontoon boat and what is the maximum number of people on board?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

115 hp max and 10 people/1455 lbs according to specs.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

The 65 HP Pontoon, the 75 HP, and the 90 HP motors all weigh about the same, 320#.  A 115 HP weighs 390#.

From your information, I would recommend the Evinrude E-TEC 90 HP outboard in either the regular series or better yet the Pontoon Series. Links to test reports of  20' pontoon boats with a 90 HP follows.

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/neutral/performanceReports/1125_G1_90PS_MistyHarborExplorer2080C...

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/neutral/performanceReports/PE966.pdf

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/neutral/performanceReports/PE506.pdf

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/neutral/performanceReports/PE1075.pdf

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

Here is a video and a report about the Evinrude E-TEC 90 HP Pontoon Boat outboard.

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/Evinrude/18000072_E-TEC-90-Pontoon-Series

Skipper

Thanks for all the info. The 90 sounds idea, however it blows my boating budget out of the water. The 65 is my sweet spot costwise. A 75 non pontoon might be possible, but is a bit of a stretch as well.  Should not have bought a new Commander Limited the same year as a new boat! Hah... Yeah, I like BRP products.

Admiral

If the budget is the issue, then a good compromise between value and performance is the Evinrude E-TEC 75 HP model.

Skipper

Looks like there is about $500 difference at retail between the two. So, I will see what we can work out with the dealer. Looks like I want to shoot for a Empty lb per hp number around 34. My existing pontoon is 46 lb/Hp, no wonder it is a dog..

Skipper

Bill, we were able to work out a deal including the 90SL. Should be fun... Thanks for the advice.

Admiral

congrats !