Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

changing from a VE50TLETF to a E90TLCEM on a 20 ft pontoon boat

Hi everyone,

Just looking through this forum to see if I can get some help. I would like to change from the 50 hp Evinrude outboard that came on my  93 Suncruiser 20 ft. pontoon boat, to a larger 90 HP Evinrude outboard motor. I have a larger one located from a private individual in MI but have not seen the pictures of how it is set up on the transom of it's previous owners boat. I am hoping that it will swap over and fit the holes on my pontoon when I take the 50 HP motor off. Would anyone have that iinformation of whether or not it would fit and the holes would line up for the 90HP to go where the 50 HP was mounted? 50 HP is just not enough get up and go for the grandkids and tubing, boating anymore. Thanks for any help or information you can pass along. If there is a page or site to look up the specifications for the 90HP, I'd appreciate it. Both motors are 1993. Thanks again, Bill

Highlighted
Mate

Re: changing from a VE50TLETF to a E90TLCEM on a 20 ft pontoon boat

correction, the 90 HP is a 1989.

Highlighted
Admiral

The bolt hole mounting is the same for those motors. Make sure the engine shaft length is the same also.

It may be best to have a  trained tech check over your installation and run the motor to be sure everything is done correctly and that it is both safe and operational.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thank you Bluewater Bill